Admitted students to a College of Education master’s program follow these milestones to earn a master degree:
- After you are admitted and you have submitted all the required documents to the office of Enrollment Services, you will be matriculated into the university.
- You must enroll in at least one unit in the semester to which you are admitted. Graduate students typically take at least six units each semester; however, it varies by program and some require more or allow for fewer units.
- Faculty advisors will provide guidance on the courses you should register for each semester. For programs with sequenced courses, it is important to take courses in the advised sequence. Most courses are only offered once per semester; you will therefore need to be available to take courses at the day, time, and semester they are offered.
- You may register for courses through MyCSULB. The Schedule of Classes lists course offerings by term. Course descriptions can be found in the University Catalog. Learn more about your MyCSULB account and how to navigate the system.
- Enroll in at least one unit each fall and spring semester to maintain continuous enrollment at CSULB. If needed, file a request for an Educational Leave by the published deadline. If you do not maintain continuous enrollment each fall and spring term, you will need to reapply to the university and program.
- Maintain 3.00 GPA in all required program and other post-baccalaureate courses (whether or not they count for the degree).
- Follow the academic plan that your faculty advisor gives you to ensure that you complete the program on time.
- Complete prerequisite coursework, if applicable to your program.
- Advancement to Candidacy signifies approval of your plan of study by your academic department and college. Read more about Advancement to Candidacy here.
- After Advancement to Candidacy, review your Academic Requirements Report in MyCSULB to ensure your degree requirements are recorded correctly.
- In addition to degree requirements, please note there are also University Regulations Governing the Master’s Degree.
- Complete exit requirement by the end of your program. Check to see what culminating experience options your program has (Thesis, Project and/or Comprehensive Exam).
- Apply to Graduate by the stated deadline with CSULB Enrollment Services so that their office knows to review all of your degree requirements to ensure that your degree can be conferred.
The Commencement Ceremony is a celebration, it does not represent degree conferral. You should apply to graduate for the term in which you will take your last class. Commencement is held each May for students who had degrees conferred in winter, spring, summer or fall terms.