Basic Skills Requirement for School Counseling and School Psychology
Applicants: Complete Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet (PDF)
Applicants to the School Counseling and School Psychology must self-attest to meeting each of the three required sections of the Basic Skills Requirement by completing and uploading the Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet (PDF) in the 'Documents' tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply.
Applicants who are admitted to the School Counseling and School Psychology programs must demonstrate that they have met the Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) and have several ways to do so, as noted below. Admitted students will be required to submit official documentation as a condition of their admission, and cannot matriculate into the program if they have not met the BSR at the time of admission.
*NOTE: If you are using test scores to meet all, or part, of the Basic Skills Requirement:
- Applicants are encouraged to include a copy of the test score report(s) along with the worksheet, but it is not required.
- Please note that those offered admission will then be required to provide official score reports.
Any combination of scores and courses is acceptable
Pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) – total scaled score of 123 or above
Pass the CSET: Multiple Subject Plus Writing Skills Examination – passing status
Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examinations
- See Appendix A, Table 1 of CL-667; Please note: as of 9/30/19, duplicate scores no longer available
Achieve Qualifying Score on the SAT
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: exam date 3/1/16-present, score of 560 or above, exam date prior to 2/28/16, score of 500 or above on Critical Reading (or Verbal)
- Math: exam date 3/1/16-present, score of 570 or above, exam date prior to 2/28/16, score of 550 or above
Achieve Qualifying Score on the ACT
- Score of 22 or above on the ACT English exam
- Score of 23 or above on the ACT Mathematics exam
College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
- Score of 3 or above on one of the following: English Language and Composition, or English Literature and Composition
- Score of 3 or above on one of the following: Calculus AB, Calculus BC, or Statistics
Pass a Basic Skills Examination from Another State – Out-of-State Basic Skills Exams Guide
Coursework in reading, writing, and mathematics as outlined below:
- Reading: must be in the subject of critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis (typically found in CSU General Education category A3)
- Writing: must be in the subject of composition, English, rhetoric, written communications, or writing (typically found in CSU General Education category A2)
- Mathematics: must be in the subject of algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics (typically found in CSU General Education category B4)
- Acceptable Coursework must meet these criteria:
- “B-“ or better (Pass/Credit also acceptable)
- Completed at a Regionally Accredited college or university
- 3 semester units (or 4 quarter units) of college credit
- Degree applicable (not remedial)
- Coursework should be from the English or Math departments. Exceptions may be allowed with a letter from the department or registrar. Admitted students will be contacted to provide this documentation.
For detailed information of CTC approved options, please click on the following links: