Graduate Programs

Beginning in Fall 2023, the Master of Science in Science Education program will be making a minor change to two of the degree options. The options in Elementary and Middle School Science Education and Secondary Science Education will be combined to form the Option in PK-12 Science Education.

This is a small change that streamlines the program and expands course choices for graduate students, compared to the current options in elementary/middle and secondary science education. The Option in Informal Science Education remains unchanged.

Catalog links below do not yet reflect this program change, but requirements and descriptions listed still provide an accurate overview of the program. 

Three graduate degree options are offered by the Science Education Department:

The M.S. in Science Education is designed primarily for credentialed K-12 teachers interested in deepening their understanding of science, education, and the teaching and learning of science. The program includes a blend of courses from the Science Education department, the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, and the College of Education. The program introduces candidates to Science Education as a field of study, with its own journals, issues, and research areas.

Video: CSULB Masters in Science Education Program

The option in Elementary and Middle School Science Education is designed for teachers who are K-8 generalists. Although aimed at those with a Multiple Subject credential, the program may also be appropriate for Single Subject teachers interested in increasing the breadth of their scientific knowledge. Students completing this option will be prepared to assume positions of greater science leadership at their schools or districts, or go on to further graduate study in Science Education.

The option in Secondary Science Education is designed for teachers who are 7-12 science discipline specialists.

The option in Informal Science Education is designed for museum, aquaria, outdoor, and environmental educators who want to further their educational studies with a focus on learning and teaching science in non-classroom settings.

Application Process and Deadlines

Applicants are required to send application materials to both:

  1. the University via Cal State Apply by the June 1 deadline. The application fee and one set of official transcripts must to be sent directly to the CSULB Office of Admissions. Additional information about applying to the University can be viewed at CSULB Admissions or at International Admissions.
  2. AND the Science Education Department (see Program Forms section, below).

We will begin reviewing candidates and making acceptance decisions after May 1. We will accept applications until June 1, assuming there's space. There is a non-refundable fee for admission to the university. Remember that the departmental application is separate from the university application. You must be accepted by both the university and the Science Education Department before being eligible as a Classified Graduate Student.