You are here

Application Process

Thank you for your interest in Graduate Degree and Advanced Credential programs offered by the CSULB College of Education.  We are pleased to know you are considering furthering your education at CSULB.

At the graduate level, two applications are required:

  1. One application is submitted online to the University for graduate admission. Visit the Cal State Apply Application Tutorial.
  2. One application is to the specific program to which you are applying. Visit Deadlines and Application Packets.

Both the university application and program application deadline are the same. You may apply to only one CSULB graduate program per admission cycle.

University Application

Applications for admission to the University may be completed online on Cal State Apply

If possible, please submit your University application BEFORE submitting the program application. Both the university application and program application are due no later than the deadline. Visit Deadlines and Application Packets.

Questions about completing your University application on Cal State Apply?  We have helpful tutorials!

If you are applying to a Master's Degree or a Master's Degree + Advanced Credential program, please utilize this: How to Submit CSA Application for Master Degree (PDF) tutorial.

If you are applying to an Advanced Credential-only program, please utilize this: How to Submit CSA Application for Advanced Credential (PDF) tutorial.

For technical assistance contact the hotline:

Official Transcripts

Official transcripts should be submitted to CSULB immediately after you complete the university application on Cal State Apply. This includes all community college(s) attended, bachelor’s degree(s) coursework, and all post-baccalaureate or extension coursework. Note that if you received your bachelor’s degree from CSULB and have not attended any other university or college since, you will most likely not need to provide transcripts. You will be notified by Enrollment Services if a transcript is needed.

Deliver official transcripts to Enrollment Services by any of the following methods:

  1. Electronically
  2. Mail
  3. Dropoff in person

Official transcripts may be submitted electronically directly from a U.S. college or university to

Official transcripts may be delivered in a sealed envelope (sealed by the institution who issued the transcript) to the address below:

California State University, Long Beach
Enrollment Services/Admissions
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840

You are not required to submit transcripts to the College of Education Graduate Studies Office. It is critical that you submit your university application and the transcripts prior to the program application deadline. This will allow the College of Education faculty and staff access to your transcripts as part of the review of your program application. 

Program Application

You may download College of Education Graduate Degree and Advanced Credential program applications on the Program Deadlines and Application Packets page.

All program application materials must be received by the application deadline. Visit Program Deadline and Application Packets.  Applications may be submitted in-person or via traditional mail. Electronic submissions are not accepted.

Send materials to the College of Education Graduate Studies Office as one complete packet containing all documents listed on the Application Checklist:

California State University, Long Beach
College of Education, Graduate Studies Office
1250 Bellflower Boulevard, EED-7
Long Beach, CA 90840-2201

All program application materials should arrive in one large envelope. Please do not submit program application items separately. The College of Education Graduate Studies Office will send you an email once they have processed your application. 

International Applicants

We encourage international applicants to consider our graduate degree and advanced credential programs. International applicants planning to attend on a J1 or F1 VISA have additional requirements for admission, and can find admission information at the Center for International Education. For specific questions about the admissions process, please send an e-mail to the Center for International Education at

Please note that some of our programs have earlier deadlines for international (F1 or J1 VISA) applicants. Please verify all deadline dates in the application packet on the Program Deadlines and Application Packets page.

Interested in Teaching or Doctoral Study?

Ed. D. in Educational Leadership Program

CSULB offers a Doctor of Education degree, specifically an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership. For additional information about the Ed.D. program, please call 562-985-4998 or visit the Educational Leadership website. Applications for the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership are submitted to the Educational Leadership Department office located in Academic Services (AS) Building, Room 206.

Initial Teaching Credentials

Applicants interested in a credential to teach elementary, middle or high school, or to teach special education will need to earn an initial teaching credential (Multiple Subject Credential, Single Subject Credential, or Education Specialist Credential). For additional information about initial teaching credential program, please call 562-985-1105 or visit the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (TPAC) website. Applications for teaching credential programs are submitted to the TPAC office located in Ellis Education (EED) Building, Room 67.