You are here

Educational Leave

Any registered student, undergraduate or graduate, in good academic standing may request an Educational Leave. Students requesting an Educational Leave must complete an Educational Leave Form, in advance, including an explanation of their reasons for seeking the leave and a statement of when they intend to resume academic work.  

The information below gives you detailed information on CSULB's Educational Leave Policy.



Students may take a leave of absence from CSULB for one or two consecutive semesters without having to re-apply to the University. Students are eligible to apply for an educational leave if they:

  • Are admitted/matriculated at CSULB
  • Are in good academic standing with the University
  • Have completed at least one semester (Fall or Spring) and have earned units at CSULB as an admitted student and not had a break in enrollment
  • Have not filed to graduate in the semester of requested educational leave

Why Take an Educational Leave?

Students are required to maintain continuous enrollment at CSULB. In order to maintain continuous enrollment, the student must attend and complete at least one class every Fall and Spring semester after he/she is admitted unless the student has applied for an educational leave. Any student who does not attend a Fall and Spring semester and does not obtain an approved educational leave will not be able to register for the next semester. The student will have to re-apply to CSULB and will be subject to the requirements of the Catalog dated the year they re-apply.

Please note: While on educational leave, you may not attend another CSU campus. CSULB students who want to attend classes at another CSU institution must meet the eligibility criteria and submit the Concurrent and Visitor Enrollment Form to the Office of Enrollment Services.

How to Request an Educational Leave 

  1. If enrolled, the student should drop all classes using MyCSULB for the term in which the leave will be taken.

  2. Students should complete the Application for Educational Leave (PDF) form obtaining the required signatures.

  3. Students should submit the completed, signed application form to Enrollment Services (BH-101) by the last day of the previous semester.

    • Fall 2018: May 25, 2018
      • Deadline to file Request for Educational Leave without $10 missed deadline fee
    • Spring 2019: December 21, 2018
      • Deadline to file Request for Educational Leave without $10 missed deadline fee
  4. Students who miss this deadline must pay a $10 missed deadline fee. Late applications will be accepted only until the last day of the semester in which the educational leave will be taken.

    • Fall 2018: December 21, 2018
      • Last day of semester
    • Spring 2019: May 24, 2019
      • Last day of semester

If a student is subsequently placed on academic disqualification, the University will revoke the approved educational leave. For more information, refer to the University Catalog.