In order to be awarded a degree or certificate, you must apply to graduate online via MyCSULB Student Center. Applying for graduation is the only way to officially graduate from CSULB. Participating in your college commencement ceremony does not indicate you have received a degree or certificate. The following FAQ gives you a step-by-step guide to applying to graduate and what to expect in the process until you receive your diploma or certificate.
Note: If you are a credential student, public school teaching and service credentials in the State of California are regulated by the State Legislature and administered by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Therefore, your credential will be awarded by the CCTC.
What Do I Need to Do Before I Apply to Graduate?
The 4 Things You Need to do Before You Apply to Graduate Online:
1. Meet the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR)
If you have not met the GWAR requirement, please visit the Testing Department website for details.
2. Advance to candidacy
Contact your Graduate Advisor.
3. Maintain good academic standing.
4. Have no financial obligation to CSULB.
Please contact Student Financial Services if you have any financial obligations to CSULB.
You are now ready to apply to graduate!
How Do I Apply to Graduate Online?
Apply to graduate online via your MyCSULB Student Center.
You’ll be able to verify how your name will appear on your diploma through your Student Center and your diploma will be mailed to you.
|Fall 2021 and earlier||$45|
|Winter 2022 and later||$75|
See the Commencement website for more information about commencement and fees.
When Do I Apply to Graduate?
|Graduation Term||Apply to Graduate Deadline|
|FALL||Preceding March 1|
|WINTER||Preceding March 1|
|SPRING||Preceding October 15|
|SUMMER||Preceding October 15|
What Happens If I Miss the Deadline to Apply?
You can still apply for graduation online after the established deadlines, but you will need to pay an additional missed deadline fee of $10 (in addition to the Apply to Graduate fee).
What Happens After I Apply to Graduate?
The following 5 things occur after you apply to graduate online:
1. A degree audit is performed by Enrollment Services to determine if you have any outstanding requirements, such as required courses, transcripts for transfer work, course substitutions, grade changes, petitions, etc.
Every effort is made to complete your degree audit before you register for your final semester, provided that you apply for graduation online before the appropriate deadline. However, delays can occur, so we recommend that you keep in contact with your department advisor to review your progress.
Keep your current address on file with us so that important notices reach you. Go to MyCSULB Student Center to maintain your contact information.
2. The final review of your record begins about 3 weeks after your final semester.
- All documents that affect your degree, such as substitutions, grade changes, petitions, waivers, official transcripts for transfer coursework, etc., must be on file no later than the last day of your declared graduation semester.
If you have outstanding requirements, you may attend your commencement ceremony. However, attending the ceremony does not constitute degree conferral. Visit the Commencement web site for more information.
If all necessary documents are not on file by the deadline below, you will not graduate, and you will need to establish a new graduation semester. This requires a Request to Change Graduation Term (DocuSign) and a $10 filing fee.
|Graduation Term||Document Deadline|
|SPRING||July 1 following your graduation date|
|SUMMER||October 1 following your graduation date|
|FALL||February 1 following your graduation date|
|WINTER||March 1 following your graduation date|
3. Within 3 months after the final review, you will be notified of one of the following:
You have successfully completed all requirements, and your diploma has been ordered.
You will not be able to graduate because you have not met one or more of the requirements. Your graduation will be in an inactive status and you will be required to change your graduation date to a future term.
4. If your degree has been awarded, you'll be notified via email when your diploma is mailed.
- Make sure to update your diploma address in MyCSULB before the end of your last semester.
5. Degrees are posted to your transcript once Enrollment Services verifies that all of your requirements have been met.
- A transcript is considered official verification of your degree and may be ordered online.
If you are a graduate student and have already applied to graduate and need to change your graduation term, you will need to submit a Request to Change Graduation Term - Graduate Students (DocuSign).
- You have missing degree requirements at the end of the term you have applied to graduate.
- You have outstanding requirements for which you have an Incomplete (I). Graduation candidates who have an outstanding requirement for which they have an incomplete will be reviewed for graduation in the term in which the incomplete is resolved. Since the degree requirements will be completed with the outstanding incomplete(s), no further enrollment will be granted.
Can My Application for Graduation Be Denied?
Yes, your application for graduation can be denied. You will receive an email explaining the requirements that you have not met and what you need to do to fulfill them.
You have not met all degree requirements.
You do not have all necessary documents on file in Enrollment Services by the appropriate deadline.
You have not completed any Incomplete (I), Report in Progress (RP), or Report Delayed (RD) grades. You need to complete any I grade prior to the granting of your degree or at the time of your graduation it will be calculated as an F, which may lead to the cancellation of your graduation. I, RP, and RD grades may also result in the cancellation of your graduation.
Your GPA is below 3.00 in your major and/or overall coursework.
You were not enrolled during your graduation semester or failed to be enrolled in the fall and spring semesters without being granted an Educational Leave.
You will need to follow the instructions to reinstate your program, which requires department approval, and to reapply to the University if you have outstanding requirements to complete.
Your graduation will remain in an inactive status until you declare another semester within the graduation filing deadline for that new semester and again pay the appropriate fees.
Can I Attend Classes After I Graduate?
Once you apply to graduate for a specific term, you cannot enroll in classes after your expected graduation term. If you want to continue to take classes after your degree is awarded, you will need to reapply for admission to the University as a graduate or post-baccalaureate student (see Graduate Admissions for more information) or take classes through “Open University” offered by the College of Professional & International Education.