Petition for Course Equivalency
If you believe that you have taken a course that is equivalent to a prerequisite or required course in a Master’s or Advanced Credential program, you should file a Petition for Course Equivalency. There is no other method to determine if you have completed a course which would be equivalent. These instructions and this petition form is to be used by students enrolled in either a Master’s program or Advanced Credential program.
Students who are applying to or admitted to a basic teaching credential program (Multiple Subject, Single Subject or Education Specialist), should obtain instructions and petition forms in the Teacher Preparation and Advising Center (TPAC).
- All Program Requirement courses used toward a Master’s degree must be completed within 7 years. Program Prerequisite courses are exempt from this timeline, but you must be able to demonstrate current knowledge.
- No courses completed as part of a Bachelor’s or other graduate degree may be used to meet any Program Requirements for a Master’s degree. It is acceptable to use courses completed as part of another degree for Program Prerequisite courses only.
- Courses considered for 400-level requirements must have been completed at the upper-division or graduate level at the other institution.
- Courses considered for 500/600 level requirements must have been completed at the graduate level at the other institution.
- Lower-division classes, including those completed at community colleges, cannot be used as equivalents for prerequisites or Master's level courses.
- Coursework for equivalency consideration must be from an accredited U.S. university.
- Students must complete at least seventy percent (70%) of the required units in the degree program at CSULB in matriculated status or as approved graduate credit earned as a senior.
- Additional regulations apply for students earning a second graduate degree. Please speak with the Graduate Studies Office.
What do I need?
Admitted or current students, fill out the online DocuSign form Petition for Course Equivalency. Be sure to fill out the form completely, bearing in mind the policies listed above. Review your program's curriculum to verify if the equivalency you are requesting is a Program Requirement or Program Prerequisite. The online form will require three (3) attachments:
- Unofficial transcript showing the course taken.
- Course syllabus in effect at the college or university at the time you took the above course. If a syllabus is not available, you must at minimum, provide a course description from that university’s Catalog. Please note that more than one course may be submitted for consideration.
- The course numbering system from that university to indicate that it is upper division or graduate level (www.collegesource.org/ may be helpful).
Petitions for Course Equivalency are only considered for students admitted to or pursuing a College of Education master's-level or advanced credential program.
What happens next?
The form will then be routed for three levels of review:
- Faculty Reviewer
- Director of Graduate Studies
- Associate Dean
You will receive an email notification from the Graduate Studies Office of the final outcome. For additional advisement see your program coordinator or contact the Graduate Studies Office.