Students that already hold a bachelor's degree or whom will be graduating with their degree (bachelors or masters) at the end of the current semester should apply to CSULB for the semester they wish to begin taking credential courses. ITEP Liberal Studies students do not need to reapply to the university. Please be aware that a SSN or ITIN number is required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance and apply to the Credential Program.
- The CSULB deadline for Fall admission to the University is June 1.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Fall admission is April 1.
- The CSULB deadline for Spring admission to the University is November 1.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Spring admission is October 1.
The University application deadline is firm. Applications to the university will NOT be accepted after the deadline. Candidates that miss the university deadline may attend through Open University until the next application period. Please be aware that admission to the university does not constitute admission to the program. Candidates must also submit the MSCP Program Application as indicated below and participate in an interview with program faculty the semester they are enrolled in pre-requisite courses. This is a second and separate application from the Cal State Apply online application.
Instructions on how to apply to CSULB are available.
After enrolling in the program prerequisite courses, students who meet the admission criteria may submit an application to the Multiple Subject Credential Program to be considered for admission. This application is separate from the University application.
Credential Program Application Periods:
|To Begin Pedagogy Courses in:
|Final Application Deadline
|December 1st @ 5pm
UTEACH Pathway - Begins Fall Semester Only
March 15 @ 5pm
May 1 @ 5pm
|July 1st @ 5pm
Complete credential program application must be submitted online at MyCED. The MSCP application and instructions for submitting are available below under Program Application Requirements. To access MyCED, you must be a current CSULB student or have already submitted your application on calstate.edu/apply and received a Campus ID#. The MSCP application is typically completed while enrolled in the program pre-requisite course, EDEL 380 or EDEL 200.
Candidates are required to complete an interview with a program faculty member prior to being admitted to the program. It is suggested that the interview be completed prior to submitting a program application. Please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center to sign up for an interview the semester you are planning to submit your program application. Interviews ONLY take place in March, April, May, October, November and December. Faculty are not available to interview candidates during winter and summer. Interview times fill up so it is suggested that you contact the office early in the semester to secure an interview appointment.
Candidates must meet the following admission criteria to be eligible for admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Submission of a complete application on MyCED prior to the appropriate deadline
- G.P.A. of at least 2.75 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units, or 2.67 overall
- Completion and passage of oral interview with program faculty
- Verification of meeting the Basic Skills Requirement
- Current TB test verification
- Demonstration of Subject Matter Competence (SMC) through one of the following pathways:
- Passage of CSET: Multiple Subjects (all three subtest) (Scores valid for ten years after passing test date and must be valid at the time credential is completed),
- through completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program,
- Through completion of a bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies from an accredited institution
- Through completion of coursework in each of the subject matter domains. Candidates using this pathway must request an evaluation from the Liberal Studies Department. Evaluations are only done from current CSULB students enrolled in MSCP pre-requisite courses.
- Through verification of a combination of coursework and exam.
Subject Matter Competency (SMC) is required for program admission. Candidates will not be considered without proof of SMC in one of the afore mentioned avenues. Candidates that need to take the CSET exam for all or part of the SMC requirement must have passing scores to be considered for admission.
- Successful completion of pre-requisite courses with a B or better
Use the checklist below to organize your application documents prior to uploading all required documents to MyCED.
- Personal Statement – 1-2 Pages Types, double space. Describe why you have chosen teaching as a career, what you hope to accomplish as a teacher and how you view the role of the teacher.
- Unofficial Transcripts – Candidates will need Unofficial Transcripts from EACH institution you have attended, including CSULB.
- Valid Negative TB Test – Skin Tests, Risk Assessments and Blood Tests are valid for 4 years and Chest x-rays are valid for 8 years. Verification must show the date read and results (negative).
- Basic Skills Requirement – Official proof of the Basic Skills Requirement (CBEST, CSET Writing, SAT, ACT, AP Scores, Official Verification of Coursework Letter, etc.) Candidates that are attempting to satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement via coursework should begin by uploading their Unofficial transcripts to their MyCED program application and click the "Submit for Review" button in MyCED to have their transcripts evaluated. Candidates that do not meet the Basic Skills Requirement via coursework will need to submit qualifying exam scores. Visit the Basic Skills Website for more information on the options to satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement.
- Subject Matter Competence (NOT Required for ITEP Applicants) – Proof of passage of the CSET exam, completion of an Elementary Subject Matter Preparation Program, transcripts verifying a bachelors degree in Liberal Studies or official verification of a combination of coursework and official CSET scores. Click on Subject Matter Competency in the navigation menu for more information on available options.
- CTC Clearance - Take a Screen shot of your Certificate of Clearance, 30 Day Sub Permit, Child Development Permit or Activity Supervisor Permit from the CTC website showing Document Number and Expiration Date.
- Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form - Candidates will enter the name and email address in MyCED for and individual who is familiar with the candidate’s abilities and dispositions in a professional setting. The recommender will be sent a link to the Recommendation Form to be completed and sent back directly to the program.
- EDEL 380/200 Clinical Practice Evaluation or 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form - Candidates that completed the 45 hours of clinical practice in EDEL 380/200/300 during Spring 2023 or prior may submit the Clinical Practice Evaluation. Beginning in Spring 2024 candidates can enter the name and email address for their Demonstration Teacher into MyCED to send the Clinical Practice Evaluation link for them to complete.
Candidates that did not complete the 45 hours of Clinical Practice or that receive a Clinical Practice Wavier or Course Equivalency for EDEL 380/200 should submit a 2nd name and email address for a 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form in MyCED.
- Faculty Interview Report – Sign up for a Faculty Interview with TPAC if you have not yet completed an MSCP interview with the last 2 years. This should be done prior to submitting your complete application.
Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
PLEASE KEEP COPIES OF ALL OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS
If you have any questions, contact the TPAC office at email@example.com or stop by and see an advisor in EED-67. The office is open Monday -Friday from 9am-12pm and 1pm-5pm.
Candidates that are attending through Open University, graduating with a degree (bachelors or masters), have never attended CSULB or have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Education Leave of Absence must also submit an application to the university at Cal State Apply by the appropriate deadline to be able to enroll in credential courses for the following semester. The university application is separate from the program application detailed above and has separate deadlines. For more information go to Applying to CSULB--MSCP in the navigation menu.