Students that already hold a bachelor's degree or whom will be graduating with their degree (bachelors or masters) at the end of the current semester should apply to CSULB for the semester they wish to begin taking credential courses. ITEP Liberal Studies students do not need to reapply to the university. Please be aware that a SSN or ITIN number is required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance and apply to the Credential Program.
- The CSULB deadline for Fall 2022 admission to the University is June 1, 2022.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Fall 2022 admission is April 1, 2022.
- The CSULB deadline for Spring 2023 admission to the University is November 1, 2022.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Spring 2023 admission is October 1, 2022.
The University application deadline is firm. Applications to the university will NOT be accepted after the deadline. Candidates that miss the university deadline may attend through Open University until the next application period. Please be aware that admission to the university does not constitute admission to the program. Candidates must also submit the MSCP Program Application as indicated below and participate in an interview with program faculty the semester they are enrolled in pre-requisite courses. This is a second and separate application from the Cal State Apply online application.
Instructions on how to apply to CSULB are available.
After enrolling in the program prerequisite courses, students who meet the admission criteria may submit an application to the Multiple Subject Credential Program to be considered for admission. This application is separate from the University application.
Credential Program Application Periods:
|To Begin Pedagogy Courses in:||Priority Application Deadline||Final Application Deadline|
March 15, 2022 @ 5pm
|Summer 2022||April 1, 2022||
May 2, 2022 @ 5pm
|June 1, 2022||July 1, 2022 @ 5pm|
|November 1, 2022||December 1, 2022 @ 5pm|
*Program applications will be accepted after priority deadlines on a space available bases.
Complete credential program application packets must be submitted online using the MSCP Application One Drive file upload. The MSCP application and instructions for submitting are available below under Program Application Requirements.
Candidates are required to complete an interview with a program faculty member prior to being admitted to the program. It is suggested that the interview be completed prior to submitting a program application. Please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center to sign up for an interview the semester you are planning to submit your program application. Interviews ONLY take place in March, April, May, October, November and December. Faculty are not available to interview candidates during winter and summer. Interview times fill up so it is suggested that you contact the office early in the semester to secure an interview appointment.
Candidates must meet the following admission criteria to be eligible for admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Submission of a complete application packet prior to the appropriate deadline
- G.P.A. of at least 2.75 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units, or 2.67 overall
- Completion and passage of oral interview with program faculty
- Verification of Basic Skills Requirement
- Current TB test verification
- Demonstration of Subject Matter Competence (SMC) – Passage of CSET: Multiple Subjects (all three subtest) (Scores valid for ten years after passing test date and must be valid at the time credential is completed), through completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program, through completion of a bachelor's degree in Liberal Studies from an accredited institution or through verification of a combination of coursework and exam. Subject Matter Competency is required for program admission. Candidates will not be considered without proof of SMC in one of the afore mentioned avenues. Candidates that need to take the CSET exam for all or part of the SMC requirement must have passing scores to be considered for admission.
- Successful completion of pre-requisite courses with a B or better
Use the checklist below to organize your digital application packet and name your files appropriately prior to uploading all required documents to the MSCP Application One Drive file link below.
** For Summer and Fall 2022 admission, candidates must show proof of completion of the Subject Matter Competency and Basic Skills Requirement for program admission.**
- 1-MSCP Application (The application, pages 1-4, is to be completed and signed via DocuSign. Attach your Personal Statement, and unofficial transcripts from each institution you have ever attended and then download as ONE PDF and saved as “1-MSCP Application” before uploading to the MSCP Application One Drive link below.)
o Personal Statement – 1-2 Pages Types, double space. Describe why you have chosen teaching as a career, what you hope to accomplish as a teacher and how you view the role of the teacher.
o Unofficial Transcripts – Attach Unofficial Transcripts from EACH institution you have attended, including CSULB.
- 2-TB Test – Skin Tests, Risk Assessments and Blood Tests are valid for 4 years and Chest x-rays are valid for 8 years. Verification must show the date read and results (negative). Scan and save as “2-TB Test” then upload to MSCP Application One Drive link below.
- 3- Basic Skills Requirement – Official proof of the Basic Skills Requirement (CBEST, CSET Writing, SAT, ACT, AP Scores, Official Verification of Coursework Letter, etc.) Click on Basic Skill Requirement in the navigation menu for more information on available options. Save proof of Basic Skills Requirement as "3-Basic Skills" and upload to the MSCP One Drive file.
- 4-Subject Matter Competence (NOT Required for ITEP Applicants) – Proof of passage of the CSET exam, completion of an Elementary Subject Matter Preparation Program, transcripts verifying a bachelors degree in Liberal Studies or official verification of a combination of coursework and offical CSET scores. Click on Subject Matter Competency in the navigation menu for more information on available options. Save proof of subject matter as “4-Subject Matter Competency” and upload the MSCP Application One Drive link below.
- 5-CTC Clearance - Take a Screen shot of your Certificate of Clearance, 30 Day Sub Permit, Child Development Permit or Activity Supervisor Permit from the CTC website showing Document Number and Expiration Date. Save the Screen Shot as “5-CTC Clearance” and then upload to the MSCP Application One Drive link below.
- Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form from individuals who are familiar with the candidate’s abilities and dispositions in a professional setting. (Candidates will submit the name and email address for their recommender, by clicking the link, ASAP. The Teacher Preparation Advising Center will send a Confidential Recommendation form to you recommender via email and then will add the recommendation form to the candidates file once they are submitted. Let your recommender know they will receive an email from dse_NA3@docusign.net with your Recommendation form to complete.)
- EDEL 380/200 Final Fieldwork Evaluation or 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form - Candidates that completed the 45 hours of fieldwork in EDEL 380/200 may submit the Final Fieldwork Evaluation. Candidates that were not able to complete the 45 hours of Fieldwork or that receive a Fieldwork Wavier or Course Equivalency for EDEL 380/200 should submit a 2nd name and email address for a 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form. If uploading a Final Fieldwork Evaluation, save as “6-FW Evaluation” and upload to the MSCP Application One Drive link below.
- Faculty Interview Report – Sign up for a Faculty Interview with TPAC if you have not yet completed an MSCP interview with the last 2 years. This should be done prior to submitting your complete application.
Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
PLEASE KEEP COPIES OF ALL OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS
If you have any questions, contact TPAC office. The advising schedule and hours can be found on the TPAC website.
Candidates that are attending through Open University, graduating with a degree (bachelors or masters), have never attended CSULB or have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Education Leave of Absence must also submit an application to the university at Cal State Apply by the appropriate deadline to be able to enroll in credential courses for the following semester. The university application is separate from the program application detailed above and has separate deadlines. For more information go to Applying to CSULB--MSCP in the navigation menu.