Students that already hold a bachelors degree or whom will be graduating with their degree (bachelors or masters) at the end of the current semester should apply to CSULB for the semester they wish to begin taking credential courses. ITEP Liberal Studeis students do not need to reapply to the university. Please be aware that a SSN or ITIN number is required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance and apply to the Credential Program.
- The CSULB deadline for Fall 2019 admission to the University is June 1, 2019.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Fall 2019 admission is April 1, 2019.
- The CSULB deadline for Spring 2020 admission to the University is November 1, 2019.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Spring 2020 admission is October 1, 2019.
The University application deadline is firm. Applications to the university will NOT be accepted after the deadline. Candidates that miss the university deadline may attend through Open University until the next application period.
Instructions on how to apply to CSULB are available.
Program Admission Deadlines
After enrolling in the program prerequisite courses, students who meet the admission criteria may apply to the credential program.
Credential Program Application Periods:
|To Begin Pedagogy Courses in:||Priority Application Deadline||Final Application Deadline|
|Spring 2019||November 1, 2018||
January 7, 2019
|Summer 2019||April 1, 2019||
May 13, 2019
April 1, 2019*Applications are not accepted after this deadline
June 1, 2019
|August 12, 2019|
*Program applications will be accepted after priority deadlines on a space available bases.
Complete credential program application packets must be submitted to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center in EED-67, prior to the application deadline. The MSCP application is available below under Program Application Requirements.
Candidates are required to complete an interview with a program faculty member prior to being admitted to the program. It is suggested that the interview be completed prior to submitting a program application. Please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center in EED-67 at 562-985-1105 to sign up for an interview the semester you are planning to submit your program application. Interview times fill up so it is suggested that you contact the office early in the semester to secure an interview appointment.
Program Admission Requirements
Candidates must meet the following admission criteria to be eligible for admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Submission of a complete application packet prior to the appropriate deadline
- G.P.A. of at least 2.75 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units, or 2.67 overall
- Completion and passage of oral interview with program faculty
- Verification of Basic Skills Requirement
- Current TB test verification
- Demonstration of Subject Matter Competence – Passage of CSET: Multiple Subjects (all three subtest) (Scores valid for ten years after passing test date and must be valid at the time credential is completed) or through completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program.
- Successful completion of pre-requisite courses with a B or better
Program Application Requirements
Candidates must submit a complete program application packet to EED-67 to be admitted to the program. A complete application includes the following items:
- Program Application (PDF)
- Personal Essay (1 – 2 pages, typed or word processed) Submit a one-to two-page essay in which you describe why you have chosen teaching as a career, what you hope to accomplish as a teacher and how you view the role of a teacher. The essay must be word-processed and include your name, campus ID number and the date.
- One Letter of Recommendation is required from an individual who is well acquainted with your educational training, teaching or other experience, and related activities. The letter of recommendation can come from a college instructor (NOT an EDEL instructor), a K-12 educator (not the same teacher that fills out the EDEL 380/200 Final Fieldwork Evaluation), employer or other adult who is not a relative. If you work in an educational setting, it should be from your current supervisor.
By including any letters in your packet, you agree we may contact the writers for additional information concerning your work and personal qualifications. Please ensure that your letter is typed, on letterhead, dated, signed (not an electronic signature) and includes full contact information for the writer. If the letter is not on letterhead, please ask your recommender to fill out the Letter of Recommendation Cover Sheet (PDF) and attach it to the letter.
- EDEL 380/200 Final Fieldwork Evaluation or Second Letter of Recommendation - Candidates that have not yet completed the fieldwork at time of application submission or those that have approved course equivalencies or approved fieldwork waivers must submit a second letter of recommendation in place of the Final Fieldwork evaluation.
- Unofficial Transcripts from ALL Colleges/Universities attended - provide unofficial transcripts for all colleges or universities you have attended, including CSULB.
- Verification of TB Clearance (skin test are valid for 4 years or chest x-ray valid for 8 years)
- Official Proof of Basic Skills Requirement - see Basic Requirement for more information and required official documentation.
- Proof of Subject Matter Competency (NOT Required for ITEP Applicants)- Either Passing CSET: Multiple Subjects Scores (Scores valid for ten years from date of test passage and must be valid at the time credential is completed) or verification of completing a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program.
- Verification of Valid Certificate of Clearance or 30 Day Sub Permit
- Self-Assessment of Dispositions for Teaching form (PDF)
Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
Candidates that are attending through Open University, graduating with a degree (bachelors or masters), have never attended CSULB or have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Education Leave of Absence must also submit an application to the university at Cal State Apply by the appropriate deadline to be able to enroll in credential courses for the following semester. The university application is seperate from the program application detailed above and has seperate deadlines. For more information go to Applying to CSULB--MSCP in the navagation menu.