Students that already hold a bachelor's degree or whom will be graduating with their degree (bachelors or masters) at the end of the current semester should apply to CSULB for the semester they wish to begin taking credential courses. ITEP Liberal Studies students do not need to reapply to the university. Please be aware that a SSN or ITIN number is required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance and apply to the Credential Program.
- The CSULB deadline for Fall 2021 admission to the University is June 1, 2021. This application will be available beginning January 1, 2021
*International Student Admission Deadline for Fall 2021 admission is April 1, 2021.
- The CSULB deadline for Spring 2022 admission to the University is November 1, 2021.
*International Student Admission Deadline for Spring 2022 admission is October 1, 2021.
The University application deadline is firm. Applications to the university will NOT be accepted after the deadline. Candidates that miss the university deadline may attend through Open University until the next application period.
Instructions on how to apply to CSULB are available.
After enrolling in the program prerequisite courses, students who meet the admission criteria may submit an application to the Multiple Subject Credential Program to be considered for admission.
Credential Program Application Periods:
|To Begin Pedagogy Courses in:||Priority Application Deadline||Final Application Deadline|
April 1, 2021 @ 5pm
|April 1, 2021||May 10, 2021 @ 5pm|
June 1, 2021
|August 9, 2021 at 5pm|
*Program applications will be accepted after priority deadlines on a space available bases.
Complete credential program application packets must be submitted to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center in EED-67, prior to the application deadline. The MSCP application is available below under Program Application Requirements.
**For Summer and Fall 2021 Admission, Multiple Subject Credential Program application will not be accepted in person or via mail or email and must be uploaded to the MSCP Application One Drive folder below. Candidates must upload all documents listed below at one time. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Before clicking the One Drive link, be sure you have all your application documents ready to upload.
Candidates are required to complete an interview with a program faculty member prior to being admitted to the program. It is suggested that the interview be completed prior to submitting a program application. Please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center via the Zoom Advising listed below to sign up for an interview the semester you are planning to submit your program application. Interviews ONLY take place in March, April, May, October, November and December. Faculty are not available to interview candidates during winter and summer. Interview times fill up so it is suggested that you contact the office early in the semester to secure an interview appointment.
**Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Teacher Preparation Advising Center is closed to the public however, staff are working remotely. Faculty interviews are still taking place during this time via Zoom or phone. Interview sign-ups will begin on Monday February 22, 2021, contact TPAC during online advising hours (M-F 9am-11am & 2pm-4pm) at https://csulb.zoom.us/s/84206567669 to sign up.
Program Admission Requirements
Candidates must meet the following admission criteria to be eligible for admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Submission of a complete application packet prior to the appropriate deadline
- G.P.A. of at least 2.75 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units, or 2.67 overall
- Completion and passage of oral interview with program faculty
- Verification of Basic Skills Requirement **
- Current TB test verification
- Demonstration of Subject Matter Competence – Passage of CSET: Multiple Subjects (all three subtest) (Scores valid for ten years after passing test date and must be valid at the time credential is completed) or through completion of a CTC approved Subject Matter Preparation Program. **
- Successful completion of pre-requisite courses with a B or better
**The Multiple Subject Credential Program understands the difficulty of obtaining test dates for the CBEST and CSET exams due to COVID-19. For Summer 2021 and Fall 2021, the MSCP will consider candidates for admission to the Program that can show proof of registration for the CBEST and CSET exams. Candidates that are admitted to the program without these exams MUST pass them prior to applying for student teaching. For this reason, it is recommended that all candidates continue to attempt to get the soonest test date possible to ensure passage of the exams in time to apply for student teaching.
Program Application Requirements
Use the checklist below to organize your digital application packet and name your files appropriately prior to uploading all required documents to the MSCP Application One Drive file link below.
- 1-MSCP Application (The application, pages 1-4, is to be completed and signed via DocuSign. Attach your Personal Statement, and unofficial transcripts from each institution you have ever attended and then download as ONE PDF and saved as “1-MSCP Application” before uploading to the MSCP Application One Drive File.)
o Personal Statement – 1-2 Pages Types, double space. Describe why you have chosen teaching as a career, what you hope to accomplish as a teacher and how you view the role of the teacher.
o Unofficial Transcripts – Attach Unofficial Transcripts from EACH institution you have attended, including CSULB.
- 2-TB Test – Skin Tests, Risk Assessments and Blood Tests are valid for 4 years and Chest x-rays are valid for 8 years. Verification must show the date read and results (negative). Scan and save as “2-TB Test” then upload to MSCP Application One Drive file.
- 3- Basic Skills Requirement – Official proof of the Basic Skills Requirement (CSET, CSET Writing, SAT, ACT, AP Scores, etc.) Click on Basic Skill Requirement in the navigation menu for more information on available options. ***For Summer and Fall 2021 admission, candidates using the CBEST to meet the Basic Skills Requirement that have not been able to secure an exam date may upload proof of registration to be considered for program admission.
- 4-Subject Matter Competence (NOT Required for ITEP Applicants) – Proof of passage of the CSET exam or completion of an Elementary Subject Matter Preparation Program. ***For Summer and Fall 2021 admission, candidates that have been unable to secure a test date for the CSET exam may submit proof of registration for all three subtests of the CSET exam to be considered for program admission. Save proof of subject matter as “4-Subject Matter Competency” and upload the MSCP Application One Drive
- 5-CTC Clearance - Take a Screen shot of your Certificate of Clearance, 30 Day Sub Permit, Child Development Permit or Activity Supervisor Permit from the CTC website showing Document Number and Expiration Date. Save the Screen Shot as “5-CTC Clearance” and then upload to the MSCP Application One Drive file.
- Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form from individuals who are familiar with the candidate’s abilities and dispositions in a professional setting. (Candidates will submit the name and email address for their recommender, by clicking the link, ASAP. The Teacher Preparation Advising Center will send a Confidential Recommendation form to you recommender via email and then will add the recommendation form to the candidates file once they are submitted. Let your recommender know they will receive an email from dse_NA3@docusign.net with your Recommendation form to complete.)
- EDEL 380/200 Final Fieldwork Evaluation or 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form - Candidates that completed the 45 hours of fieldwork in EDEL 380/200 may submit the Final Fieldwork Evaluation. Candidates that were not able to complete the 45 hours of Fieldwork or that receive a Fieldwork Wavier or Course Equivalency for EDEL 380/200 should submit a 2nd name and email address for a 2nd Confidential Applicant Recommendation Form. If uploading a Final Fieldwork Evaluation, save as “6-FW Evaluation” and upload to the MSCP Application One Drive file.
- Faculty Interview Report – Sign up for a Faculty Interview with TPAC if you have not yet completed an MSCP interview with the last 2 years.
Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted.
PLEASE KEEP COPIES OF ALL OF THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS
If you have any questions, contact TPAC during online advising hours (M-F 9am-11am & 2pm-4pm) at https://csulb.zoom.us/s/84206567669.
Candidates that are attending through Open University, graduating with a degree (bachelors or masters), have never attended CSULB or have been away from the university for a semester or more without an approved Education Leave of Absence must also submit an application to the university at Cal State Apply by the appropriate deadline to be able to enroll in credential courses for the following semester. The university application is separate from the program application detailed above and has separate deadlines. For more information go to Applying to CSULB--MSCP in the navigation menu.