Spring 2021 Completers
Executive Order N-66-20 (Link) and SB 820 allows flexibility for candidates unable to complete CalTPA and/or RICA due to closures caused by COVID-19. These candidates may be recommended for their Preliminary Credential and will need to complete CalTPA and/or RICA prior to applying for their Clear Credential.
If you have completed all credential requirements or if you still need to complete CalTPA and/or RICA, please follow the steps listed below to be recommended for your Preliminary Credential.
- Make sure you have submitted all remaining program items to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (surveys, evaluations, etc.)
- Make sure your grades have posted
- ITEP candidates only - make sure your degree has posted
Step 2: Once you have submitted all remaining program items to the Teacher Preparation Advising Center, please email the following items to the Credential Center at CED-Credentials@csulb.edu.
- Education Specialist, Multiple and Single Subject Request for Recommendation (PDF)
- Any missing items that were highlighted on your credential evaluation that have now been completed (e.g. CPR, RICA, US Constitution)
- If missing RICA, please provide proof of cancellation, non-passing scores, or provide a statement as to why you were unable to take the examination during the designated timeframe.
- Education Specialist candidates only, please provide your CTC/CSU Program Completer Survey completion certificate or screenshot.
Step 3: Application and Payment
- A CSULB Credential Analyst will deteremine if your file is complete and submit an online credential recommendation to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
- Watch for a notification email from the CTC (donotreply @ ctc.ca.gov)
- Follow the instructions in the email from the CTC directing you to go online to complete the online application (Professional Fitness Questions) and
- Pay for your credential
Previous Semester Completers
If you completed student teaching prior to Spring 2021, please read Executive Order N-66-20 (Link) for complete information on flexibility for candidates unable to complete CalTPA and/or RICA due to closures caused by COVID-19.
If you meet the eligibility requirements listed below, for the Preliminary Credential, the outstanding requirement (TPA/RICA) will be deferred to a Clear Credential requirement. Please be aware that all other credential requirements must be met in order to be eligible.
CalTPA: Candidates who were enrolled in the program during the academic years of 2019/2020-2020/2021 and were affected by COVID-19 school closures between the dates of March 19, 2020 - August 31, 2021 may request a Preliminary Credential if you can satisfy all of the following requirements, per EO N-66-20:
- If you completed your student teaching during the Fall 2019, Spring 2020 or Fall 2020 semesters and were impacted by Covid-19 related school site closures
- Were in the process of completing the TPA
- Were unable to complete the TPA or did not pass the TPA due solely to school closures
- Successfully completed all other preliminary teaching credential requirements
RICA: Candidates affected by COVID-19 school closures between the dates of March 19, 2020 - August 31, 2021 may request a Preliminary Credential if you can satisfy the following requirement, per EO N-66-20:
- Were unable to complete the RICA due to COVID-19 related testing center closures (must submit proof of cancellation, non-passing scores, or provide a statement as to why you were unable to take the examination during the dates of March 19, 2020 - August 31, 2021).
If you feel that you meet the above listed EO requirements you will be required to email your request, supporting documentation, and a Request for Recommendation (PDF) to the Credential Center at CED-Credentials@csulb.edu. A credential analyst (and if necessary your program coordinator) will verify that you are eligible to apply for the Preliminary Credential. Please allow 15 business days for a response. If you are eligible, you will receive a credential recommendation email from the CTC (donotreply @ ctc.ca.gov) directing you to go online to complete the application and pay for your credential. If you are not eligible, you will receive an email from a credential analyst. The deadline to request a review for your Preliminary Credential is August 31, 2021.