Credential Center FAQs

All teacher candidates admitted to a California Multiple or Single Subject Teacher Credential Program on or after July 1, 2002 complete embedded English Learner coursework. In June 2006, an English Learner authorization was also embedded in the coursework for the Education Specialist Credential. These Multiple Subject, Single Subject and Education Specialist candidates are recommended for an English Learner authorization directly on their teaching credential at the completion of their program.

Helpful Resource:

CTC Information on Teaching English Learners


The Commission on Teacher Credentialing administers examinations used to meet certification requirements.

Test bulletins are available on line at the web sites for downloading if a printed copy is desired.

Please use the following web sites for exam information and to register for exams.

See more information on exams.



The California Education Code Section 44335 requires Multiple Subject, Single Subject and Educational Specialist credential candidates to complete a course (two semester units or three quarter units) in the provisions and principles of the U.S. Constitution, or pass an examination in the subject given by a regionally-accredited community college, college, or university. At CSU, Long Beach, both POSC 100 and POSC 391 are approved; only one is required. Equivalent courses taken at other institutions may be substituted. You may contact staff in the Credential Center for review of your transcripts to find out if you have already met the requirement or for information regarding acceptable alternatives. View our U.S. Constitution section on the left for more information. 


Your first step to get a California credential is to either go to a School District or County Office of Education and have them file for your credential. Your requirements will be based upon your experience as a teacher. You will need to provide official transcripts, letters verifying experience and evaluations of your previous teaching experience. The School District or County Office of Education will provide you with the forms necessary (including fingerprinting) to file for the credential. When you receive your five-year credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the actual face of the document will list the requirements you must complete within the timeline of the document.

CBEST (California Basic Education Skills Test for Teachers) must be passed within the first year.

You can also file directly with the state providing all the information listed above.

CCTC Links:

  1. This is not required. You will need to hold onto your scores and submit them to your district when it is time to apply for your Clear Credential.
  2. If you have passed the examinations and would like to have the renewal requirement of the TPA and/or RICA removed from your document, you will need to mail a state credential 41-4 application, fee, and scores directly to the CTC and request that they remove the requirement(s).