Online Application Submission
General Admissions Process
- Complete the University application on Cal State Apply and pay a non-refundable $70 fee.
- Submit program materials through MyCED after completing the University application. Both applications are due by the application deadline.
- Submit official transcripts.
- Await notification.
NOTE: The Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under "Program Application Materials on MyCED" tab.
Completed applications must be submitted by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2022
Application due date: June 1, 2023*
Applications are not accepted after the final deadline.
*Please note that international applicants (F1 or J1 visa) have an earlier deadline of March 15, 2023 for Fall 2023 consideration.
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: statement of purpose, copy of teaching credential, recommendations, etc.
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6AM – 5PM PT.
After you complete and submit the university application, please upload supplementary program application materials via MyCED by the application deadline:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- Submit proof of completing CTC preconditions
- Verification of 3 years of credentialed service experience.
Statement of Purpose Prompt
Please write a 2-3 page, double-spaced Leadership Philosophy statement (1 “ margins, 12 pt font) describing:
- Your educational preparation,
- Your experiences as a teacher or other educational professional, highlighting examples of your own leadership, and
- Your general philosophy of leadership which includes your beliefs on inclusiveness and equity
- Spring 2023 applicants, please include: Discuss why participating in this Fountain Valley School District (FVSD) cohort with CSULB will help you achieve your professional goals.
Your statement must be clear, concise, and mechanically correct.
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé. Need help with updating your résumé? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Proof of Completing CTC Preconditions
Submit in one file the proof of your credential and meeting the Basic Skills Requirement. This proof should be a print-out (i.e., screen shot) from the CTC website showing your clear or life CA credential (teaching credential, designated subjects, or PPS). If you hold a teaching credential, please be sure your credential print-out also includes proof of English learner authorization. Also include proof of completion of basic skills requirement (CBEST).
- Title(s) of Credentialed Position(s)
- Date Initial Employment in Credentialed Position(s)
- Name of Employing Agency
- Mailing Address - Street City State ZIP
- County of Employment
- Name of Immediate Supervisor
- Letter(s) must be signed by an authority of the district or organization and include a wet signature.
(Note: If an applicant is pursuing the M.S. only and not the credential, this requirement can be waived. Please contact a program advisor for more information.)
Be prepared to enter the name and email contact information for two people who will complete letters of recommendation for you. Recommendations are preferred from those who are familiar with your experience and educational leadership potential. At least one letter must be from a current supervisor (e.g., principal). We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Please also review these helpful tips regarding recommendations.
Deadline for Fall 2023: June 1, 2023
You may complete and submit your Cal State Apply application before your recommenders submit their letters.
Lastly, Cal State Apply allows you to enter a note to the recommender. Please copy and paste the instructions below to be included in the email request to your recommenders.
Please comment on the candidate’s overall abilities as well as their potential as a future administrator. It is helpful if you would also provide your impressions of the applicant’s:
- attitudes and actions toward individuals with disabilities as well as those from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds,
- level of community involvement,
- relationships with professional colleagues, and,
- leadership experiences in which they have engaged.