To qualify for admission to a master’s program, you must meet the General University Admission Requirements for graduate standing as well as the professional, personal, scholastic, and other standards as prescribed by the program.
To apply, prior to the first semester of graduate enrollment, applicants must have either:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD), Speech-Language Pathology (SLP), Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences; or
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in a discipline other than Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD). The applicant must have at least 30 semester units (or 45 quarter units) of coursework in speech-language pathology/communication sciences and disorders before enrollment in the graduate program.
Note: Students who do not meet the above requirement are not eligible to apply and will not be accepted.
- Apply to CSULB through CAL STATE APPLY
- Create an account on Cal State Apply and follow the instructions to complete your application.
- Submit your official transcript from the institute where you receive your bachelor’s degree directly to CSULB Enrollment Services. Official transcripts may be submitted electronically directly from a U.S. college or university to ES-IDPTrans@csulb.edu.
- CSULB SLP MA Program no longer requires or accepts GRE scores as part of the application requirements.
- Applicants are required to submit all the required program materials to CAL STATE APPLY. (Note: We do not use CSDCAS system.)
- Department application components include
- Statement of Purpose (writing prompt is available on Cal State Apply)
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- All instructions can be found on CAL STATE APPLY under Program Materials.
CSULB Admissions Committee will evaluate all application materials submitted by the applicants, including the following items.
- Grade point average (GPA) in speech-language pathology coursework
- Overall GPA
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Interview Results: Only qualified applicants receive invitations to be interviewed by members of the Admissions Committee. If an interview is offered, the interview results will be included.
Note: We do not require or accept GRE scores as part of the application requirements.
The interview evaluates the applicant's abilities and skills necessary to satisfy the knowledge and clinical standards established by the ASHA and faculty and the personal characteristics that are necessary to become a competent speech-language pathologist. The Admissions Committee selects applicants for matriculation who have demonstrated the personal qualities of maturity, integrity, and who are best suited for meeting the educational goals of the CSULB SLP MA program.
Due to the large volume of applications per year, the department is not able to offer individual advising sessions to program applicants. Instead, a group information session will be offered once a semester for prospective students.
A general information session via Zoom will be offered during the last week of April 2024. The Zoom link and registration will be available in March 2024.