Recreation and Leisure Studies
The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies prepares students to promote a broader and deeper understanding of the role of leisure and recreation in the lives of all people and to enhance the quality of experiences available to each person. The Department’s mission is Engagement, Participation and Leadership.
We offer the following programs of study:
- Bachelor of Arts in Recreation with concentrations in:
- Community Recreation
- Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Leadership
- Campus Recreation and Student Services
- Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Recreation with an option in Recreation Therapy
- Minor in Recreation
- Minor in Event Planning
- Master of Science in Recreation Administration
Undergraduate admission to the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies requires no special admission procedures.
For any questions regarding the graduate program (MS in Recreation Administration), please contact Dr. Heewon Yang (Heewon.Yang@csulb.edu). The deadline for the application is June 1 and please visit Cal State Apply for your application.
Professional positions held by graduates:
- National, State and Municipal Parks and Recreation Coordinators
- Managers, Supervisors, Directors
- City Managers
- Community Services Directors
- Park Naturalists and Park Rangers
- Recreation Therapists
- Senior Center Directors in Hospitals
- Clinics and Rehabilitation Programs
- University Recreation Center and Intramural Directors
- Athletic Sports Program
- Facility Managers
- Student Services Managers
- Outdoor Adventure and Day Camp Directors
- Recreation Facility or Club Managers
- Travel and Tourism Agents or Guides
- Sporting Goods Sales Representatives
- Amusement Park, Hotel or Resort Managers
- Military Recreation and Employee Services Specialists
- Social Director and Event Managers
- Nonprofit and Volunteer Services Managers
National accreditation of the program has been awarded continuously since 1982. The Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT) accredits recreation, park resources and leisure services curricula. Our department offers the only academic program accredited by COAPRT in Southern California.
Learn more about academic accreditation.