By the end of their degree program, graduates shall be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehension of the foundational, behavioral and clinical sciences for application to the physical therapy clinical setting.
- Demonstrate the assessment and intervention skills of an entry-level doctoral physical therapist.
- Adhere to principles of critical thinking and evidence-based practice in clinical decision making.
- Communicate to a diverse population in a manner consistent with the APTA Core Values and Code of Ethics in professional and clinical settings.
- Adhere to the ethical and legal standards of physical therapy practice.
California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The DPT program at CSULB is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, Virginia 22305-3085; telephone 703.706.3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 562.985.4072 or email CHHS-PT@csulb.edu.
The program’s accreditation was most recently reviewed in 2012 and was reaccredited for 10 years (the maximum).
While the Academic Council of the APTA recognizes that there are proprietary organizations that rank physical therapist education programs, the profession encourages prospective students to provide their own comparisons through careful examination of information on program and APTA web sites, and visits to the campuses to talk with enrolled students and program faculty.
National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) Pass Rates*
|CSULB cohort||CSULB 1st time pass rate||National average of 1st time pass rate||CSULB ultimate pass rate (one or more attempts)|
|Class of 2022||93.8%||85.0%||100%|
|Class of 2021||97.1%||88.4%||100%|
|Class of 2020||100%||91.2%||100%|
|Class of 2019||96.8%||90.5%||100%|
|2-yr avg for most current cohorts (Class of '21 and '22)||95.5%||86.7%||100%|
Graduation and Employment Rate
|CSULB Cohort||Graduation Rate*||Employment Rate**|
|Class of 2023||100%||(in progress)|
|Class of 2022||97.1%||100%|
|Class of 2021||97.0%||100%|
|Class of 2020||97.4%||96%|
|Class of 2019||97.0%||100%|
|2-yr avg for most current cohorts (Class of '22 and '23)||98.6%||100%|
*Graduation Rate is the percentage of the students enrolled in the DPT Program who completed the program within 150% of the time normally expected for completion.
**Employment Rate is the percentage of graduates employed as a Physical Therapist within 1 year after passing the licensure examination.