Welcome to the SERVE Program! The SERVE (Service Experiences for ReVitalizing Education) Program in the College of Education at CSULB creates an opportunity for students at the undergraduate level, in particular for those who are considering careers in K-12 education, to learn about the realities of urban classrooms and the needs of the diverse K-12 student population. SERVE students work with students individually and in small groups to provide academic support and encourage personal growth. It is through this involvement that CSULB students assess their careers goals and provide direct service to students and teachers in grades K-12 and their communities.
Site Conditions for Field Placement
- University students will work directly with K-12 students in urban classroom settings.
- School has a diverse student population in terms of language, culture, gender and socio-economic background (minimum 27% of minority student population).
- Cooperating teacher has a professional teaching credential with a minimum 3 years of teaching experience. Student is not related to cooperating teacher.
Every school site has a SERVE Coordinator appointed by the school or district office. The coordinator may be the principal, counselor, a staff member, or a teacher. SERVE students contact the coordinator via email or telephone.
- Be the first contact for SERVE students at their site and arrange for the SERVE student’s first visit to the school
- Assign placements: teacher, grade level. Once students are assigned to your school district/school, students are instructed to contact the SERVE Site Coordinator to receive the details regarding their placements and next steps.
- Ensure that the cooperating teacher is not a family member/friend of the SERVE student
- Communicate with SERVE students to 1) schedule their work in the field; 2) share emergency procedures of the school; 3) introduce the SERVE student to the classroom teacher
- Communicate with the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (TPAC) on all matters regarding placement of SERVE students
SERVE Cooperating Teachers are selected by the principal and have a minimum of three years of teaching experience.
Cooperating Teachers Will:
- Meet the SERVE student and discuss the student’s goals for that particular placement
- Introduce the SERVE student to the class and describe his/her role, the classroom management system, procedures and routines
- Provide learning activities for the SERVE student to work with K-12 students in small groups, one-on-one, or with the whole class, as needed
- Communicate with the Teacher Preparation Advising Center (TPAC) as needed concerning the SERVE student’s performance of the field assignment
- Contribute to documentation for SERVE: 1) Field Placement Confirmation; 2) Hours Log; 3) Final Evaluation
- Complete a SERVE Program Evaluation when requested.
Who are SERVE students?
- Second semester freshman status or above;
- GPA of 2.0 or above in all work;
- Cleared through SERVE Program - (TB Testing & CTC Clearance)
Requirements for SERVE students placed in the classroom:
- Minimum of 40-45 hours in the classroom or other assigned site during one semester constitutes one rotation;
- Each service-learning rotation is at a different site, different grade level.