University Forms

Common University Forms & Processes

These documents are commonly used by students for general university-wide reasons having to do with registration and enrollment, and/or financial aid. These forms are processed for final confirmation through Enrollment Services and/or other University Offices (not the College of Education). 


In order to be awarded a degree, you must apply to graduate online via MyCSULB Student Center.  Applying for graduation is the way to announce candidacy and officially graduate/receive a degree from CSULB. Participating in your college commencement ceremony does not indicate you have received a degree, this is only the celebration surrounding graduation.

Refer to the Apply to Graduate (Undergraduate) Website for more information and directions.

Once self-service registration ends for the semester (after the second week of classes, or proportionate for winter and summer terms), students may only add classes with class instructor and department approvals. This process is available on MyCSULB Student Center after the self-service registration deadline.

Refer to the Permission to Add Website for more information and directions.

During the first two weeks of classes, students may drop one or more classes using self-service registration on MyCSULB Student Center. Starting the third week of classes (or proportionate for winter or summer terms), if a student wishes to withdraw from a class, they must request to withdraw using the online request. During the final three weeks of class, students need to upload documentation of serious and extenuating circumstances beyond their control that prevent from continuing in classes.

Refer to the Dropping and Withdrawing Website for more information.

Refer to the Using Academics Website for directions. Go to "Request to Withdraw" on the accordion menu.

Any registered student, undergraduate or graduate, in good academic standing may request an Educational Leave. Students requesting an Educational Leave must complete an Educational Leave Form, in advance, including an explanation of their reasons for seeking the leave and a statement of when they intend to resume academic work.  Filing an educational leave ensures that a student will not be discontinued from the university after not attending for at least one term.

Students may take a leave of absence from CSULB for one or two consecutive semesters without having to re-apply to the University.

Students are eligible to apply for an educational leave if they:

  • Are admitted/matriculated at CSULB
  • Are in good academic standing with the University
  • Have completed at least one semester (Fall or Spring) and have earned units at CSULB as an admitted student and not had a break in enrollment
  • Have not filed to graduate in the semester of requested educational leave

Steps for Submission:

For more information and/or to request an educational leave, refer to the Enrollment Services Educational Leave Website

The Request for Evaluation of Coursework from Another Institution Form is used by students who plan to enroll into course(s) at another college or university, and want an evaluation for equivalency to be completed by Enrollment Services prior to completion of the course.  CSULB students who wish to attend another school to earn credit while currently enrolled at CSULB should use this form prior to enrolling elsewhere. This will also allow a matriculated CSULB's students Academic Requirements Report to be updated beforehand with 'in progress' credit for the requirement being met by the course. While this form or process is not required to transfer coursework from another institution, it is highly recommended.  

To complete this form, refer to the Enrollment Services Forms Website and select "Request for Evaluation of Course Work from Another Institution (DocuSign)" under Registration/Records Forms.

Need Support? Contact Transfer Credit Evaluations directly by submitting a help ticket.

An assortment of Financial Aid Forms can be found to assist students with academic finances and access to financial assistance for CSULB.

For a reference to Financial Aid Forms, refer to the Enrollment Services Forms Website

Questions? Contact the Financial Aid Office at 562-985-8403 or through the Financial Aid Website.

The Exception to Academic Policy for Undergraduate Limit (PDF) is used by students who have repeatedly not passed a required course with a "C" or better, and would like to request a third attempt.

An undergraduate student with extenuating circumstances may request to repeat a course more than once if the student fails to achieve an A, B, C, or CR in the second attempt. In such cases, the additional repeat will not result in the forgiveness of a prior grade. All attempts will be used in GPA calculation. An exception to Academic Policy on Undergraduate Limits will be considered only in cases of demonstrated need (usually to avoid undue delay in graduation) and documented circumstances which support the potential for the student’s future academic success. 

Steps for Submission:

  • Step 1: Save & Complete the PDF. Select "Repeat a Course More Than Once" option. Save Completed Form.
  • Step 2: Collect Required Documents, as Attachments. Students need to type up a Statement/Explanation and Save/Attach Unofficial Transcripts and your Academic Requirements Report.
  • Step 2: Send the Completed PDF & Supporting Documents to the College of Education Associate Dean. Submit your petition and attachments to Dr. Rebecca Bustamante, at for approval.
  • Step 3: If approved and signed, forward the completed form with supporting documents to

The Petition for Exception to Maximum Unit Load Docusign is used by students who want to enroll in more than the maximum units allowed for a given term.

The form can be found under 'Registration / Records Forms' at the Enrollment Services Forms and Documents Website

Use this form to petition to exceed the maximum unit load for the Fall, Spring, Summer, or Winter terms. An exception to the unit limit will be granted only if there is both demonstrated need for the overload (usually to avoid undue delay in graduation or required by major department) and demonstrated ability to succeed in a heavy load. A minimum 3.0 GPA is usually required.

Term Limits:

  • Fall/Spring - Maximum unit load of 18 units.
  • Summer - Maximum unit load of 7 units in a six-week session or 10 units in overlapping sessions totaling 9 weeks.
  • Winter - Maximum unit load of 4 units.

For a full listing of forms related to Admissions, Financial Aid, Registration, Records, and Progress Toward Degree and Graduation, please visit the Enrollment Services Forms Website


If there are questions about any of these forms or processes, students should contact Enrollment Services as needed.