Hospitality Management is offered as a Bachelor of Science degree in the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences at California State University, Long Beach. It is designed to prepare students with the necessary background and expertise to excel as managers and leaders in the restaurant, foodservice, hotel, and lodging industries. The program provides a broad-based foundation in both academic and professional courses and includes hands-on practical experience.
The mission of the Hospitality Management program is to prepare hospitality leaders to meet the needs of the industry and community in a dynamic, multi-cultural, global job market by providing superior education, research, and service.
The Hospitality Management program at CSULB will be recognized as a leader in the development of future professionals in a global hospitality industry through teaching excellence, research, community engagement, and industry partnerships.
- Excellence: Provide exceptional learning experiences that promote and develop hospitality leadership
- Integrity: Uphold the highest ethical and professional standards of all faculty, staff, and students
- Community: Involve community partners to provide learning and service opportunities that engage students and faculty from diverse backgrounds
- Sustainability: Engage faculty and students across the curriculum with awareness in sustainability issues and a capacity to contribute to the construction of sustainable societies
- Forward Thinking: Be visionary in moving our program and university forward by providing opportunities for continued growth and development
- Globalization: Uphold a national and global orientation of the hospitality program's curriculum
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of operations relative to the provision of goods and services in hospitality management
- Demonstrate knowledge of technology applications in hospitality management
- Examine foundations of leadership and strategic management in the hospitality industry including the application of human resources, marketing, finance, and other business principles
- Demonstrate effective written and interpersonal communication skills
- Acquire knowledge of a global perspective and diversity issues as related to hospitality management
- Recognize legal and ethical considerations affecting organizations in the hospitality industry
Professional placement rates are obtained from the annual alumni survey taken of students who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Hospitality Management during the previous academic year.
- Recent professional placement rates (2021-2022 graduates): 86%
- Three-year average: 86%
Student retention rates measure the extent to which students say enroll from one year to the next. One-year student retention rates for students majoring in Hospitality Management are as follows:
One-year retention rate of Freshmen beginning Fall 2020: 88%
Three-year average: 84%
One-year retention rate of Transfer students beginning Fall 2020: 93%
Three-year average: 95%
The Hospitality Management program offers students the option to participate in various professional and extracurricular activities and provides many opportunities for work experience and job placement in the surrounding area. Various internships, student clubs, and guest speakers provide students with assistance in obtaining knowledge about the many varied careers in hospitality management. Activities include networking, guest lectures, attending professional meetings, and touring various industry sites, such as hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, country clubs, catering operations, etc.
A Bachelor's degree in Hospitality Management gives graduates a competitive advantage to excel as managers and leaders in a multitude of hospitality related industries including:
- Restaurants plus various food and beverage operations
- Hotels and Lodging facilities
- Resorts, Convention Centers
- Amusement parks, Stadiums
- Meeting and Event venues
- Clubs (city clubs, country clubs, etc.)
- Catering / Banquet facilities
- Institutional foodservices (schools, colleges, corporate, healthcare facilities)
- Property Management
- Cruise ships, Airlines
- Retirement Hotels /Senior Living facilities
- Vendor/supplier to the hospitality industry (Sales)
- And more!