Help people achieve their fitness and health goals. Fitness professionals create customized exercise and wellness programs that promote active lifestyles by increasing physical performance, strength, endurance, flexibility, and sustained healthy behaviors. Individuals in the fitness field may also take on management roles at fitness organizations, be entrepreneurs in the industry, and/or take on a wellness coaching role in an individual or corporate setting.
Jobs & Work Settings
- Fitness director, commercial or corporate gym manager, program specialist, or coordinator
- Strength and conditioning coach working in sport performance centers, fitness centers, colleges and universities, professional sports, rehabilitation centers, military facilities
- Personal trainer
- Group instructor in corporate, commercial, community, or other public or private facilities
- Gym or Performance center owner
- Fitness/wellness industry entrepreneur
- Exercise technician
- Older adult fitness specialist
- Corrective Exercise Specialist
- Medical Exercise Specialist
- Health and Wellness Coach
- Master trainer for fitness organization
- Fitness education presenter and/or writer
Career Outlook & Pay
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of fitness trainers and instructors is projected to grow 10 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations.
Median annual wage
- CA: $51,580
- US: $39,820
According to Salary.com, the average annual wage for Fitness Center Director salary in the United States is $81,488
Interests, Skills & Values
Fitness professionals are passionate about health, fitness, wellness, and athletic performance.
Fitness professionals help people achieve their health and wellness goals, both in body and mind.
Fitness professionals will work with people from all backgrounds with a variety of life experiences and as such, they should have the ability to empathize with their clients.
Fitness professionals keep track of their client’s progress and ensure that the clients receive and follow the correct fitness, wellness, or performance regimen.
Fitness professionals need to provide clear instructions and adjust exercise programs as needed.