Focus on the business side of fashion. Fashion merchandisers strategize the best way to advertise and sell clothes. They identify trends, track inventory, and look for ways to increase profits. They have a deep understanding of the fashion industry, from product development to merchandising textile and apparel products.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Family Consumer Science with an option in Fashion Merchandising
- Minor in Fashion Merchandising
Study Away: New York
The study away program is offered in January and July and focuses on the center of the US fashion Industry. For information, contact Suzanne.Marshall@csulb.edu.
Study Abroad: Paris
The study abroad program takes place for two weeks in June and focuses on the luxury fashion industry. For information, contact Suzanne.Marshall@csulb.edu.
Study Abroad: Italy
The study abroad program takes place in January and June. It focuses on manufacturing and retailing fashion in Italy. For information, contact Marine.Aghekyan@csulb.edu.
- Retail Buyer
- Manufacturer’s Representative
- Product Designer / Pattern Maker
- Store Operations Manager
- Stylist / Fashion Coordinator / Fashion Director
- Textiles Testing & Evaluation Specialist
- Fashion Product Developer
- Visual Display Manager / Merchandiser
Job outlook: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, overall employment of purchasing managers and buyers and purchasing agents is projected to decline 3 percent from 2016 to 2026. The outsourcing and automation of less complex procurement functions are among contributing factors causing employment declines for these occupations.
The median annual wage for purchasing managers, buyers, and purchasing agents:
- CA: $141,400 (purchasing managers)
- US: $67,600
- Business skills: Fashion merchandisers are passionate about fashion and have a deep understanding of the fashion industry. They should know how to efficiently set budgets, establish prices, and direct teams.
- Communication skills: Fashion merchandisers must be able to communicate the vision of the clothing line. They must also be able to give clear instructions.
- Leadership abilities: Fashion merchandisers must form strong working relationships with their team. This may include motivating staff, resolving conflicts, and dealing with customer-related problems.
- Decision-making skills: Fashion merchandisers must make informed and timely decisions when choosing apparel they think will sell.