Online Application Submission
Steps in the Application Process
The Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under the "Program Application Materials on MyCED" below.
Completed applications must be submitted by the following deadlines:
Application period began: October 1, 2023
- Cal State Apply Application due date: December 1, 2023
- MyCED Application due date: December 11, 2023
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: enter "I am not adding any documents" (these will be submitted on MyCED)
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, via email, or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6:00AM – 5:00PM PT.
After you complete and submit the CSULB Cal State Apply application, please upload supplementary program application materials via MyCED by the MyCED program application deadline:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- Self-attest to meeting Basic Skills Requirement
- NOTE: The GRE is not required for admission
Please email email@example.com if you need technical support navigating MyCED.
Statement of Purpose Prompt
Submit a 3- to 4-page double-spaced, 12-point font statement of purpose. This is a presentation of you as a prospective school psychologist thus, a clear and germane writing sample is essential.
In your statement, include two numbered headings corresponding to the two numbered questions below. Please carefully read and address all items below.
1. Why are you choosing school psychology as a career? Please also answer the following subquestions in your response.
- What are your career objectives?
- Why are you applying to our program?
- What core values will guide your professional activities?
2. What is your personal understanding of diversity, equity, or social justice as it relates to education or the role of a school psychologist in advancing equity in schools? Please also answer the following subquestion in your response.
- How did you come to this understanding? (Note, we do not expect applicants to share personal information or traumas in their response in order to be evaluated favorably in the admissions process.)
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website.
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé.
Need help with updating your résumé? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website.
Basic Skills Requirement
Self-attest to meeting each of the three required sections of the Basic Skills Requirement by submitting the Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet on MyCED:
Please visit our Basic Skills Requirement website for more information.
Be prepared to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders. Recommendations due by December 11, 2023. You may complete and submit your MyCED application before your recommenders submit their letters.
Who to ask
Recommendations should be from a supervisor in a professional setting or a university faculty member. We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request from MyCED will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Your recommenders will be instructed to respond to the following statement:
Thank you for providing a recommendation for an applicant. If possible, please consider the following areas of interest in your letter:
- Academic abilities & accomplishments
- Personal qualities & maturity
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people & social skills (e.g., communication, cooperation, responsibility, empathy)
- Obstacles overcome
- Any additional topics that you believe are relevant to the applicant’s preparation and suitability for this graduate program