Online Application Submission
General Admissions Process
- Use Cal State Apply to file all application materials before the deadline (see below for details)
- Pay a non-refundable $70 fee
- Submit your official transcripts (see left-hand navigation menu)
- Await notification (see left-hand navigation menu)
- Interviews for admission will be held in March 2023
NOTE: The Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet, Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under "Program Application Materials"
Completed applications must be submitted by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2022
Application due date: January 15, 2023
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: statement of purpose, recommendations, etc.
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, via email, or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6:00 AM – 5:00 PM PT.
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Upload the following on the 'Documents' tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- Upload Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) Worksheet (PDF) to self-report how you have met the BSR requirement
- Unofficial transcripts
- NOTE: The GRE has been waived for Fall 2023 admission.
Statement of Purpose Prompt
Submit a 3- to 4-page double-spaced, 12-point font statement of purpose. This is a presentation of you as a prospective school psychologist thus, a clear and germane writing sample is essential.
In your statement, include two numbered headings corresponding to the two numbered questions below. Please carefully read and address all items below.
1. Why are you choosing school psychology as a career? Please also answer the following subquestions in your response.
- What are your career objectives?
- Why are you applying to our program?
- What core values will guide your professional activities?
2. What is your personal understanding of diversity, equity, or social justice as it relates to education or the role of a school psychologist in advancing equity in schools? Please also answer the following subquestion in your response.
- How did you come to this understanding? (Note, we do not expect applicants to share personal information or traumas in their response in order to be evaluated favorably in the admissions process.)
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying.
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé.
Need help with updating your résumé? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying.
Upload Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet
Please complete and upload the Basic Skills Requirement Worksheet (PDF).
Copy of Unofficial Transcripts
Please upload an unofficial transcript from each university or college where you earned a baccalaureate, graduate degree and/or credential. (Reminder: applicants must also submit official transcripts to Enrollment Services, see Official Transcripts section)
Enter information for two recommenders below. Recommendations should be from a supervisor in a professional setting or a university faculty member. We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
When specifying the Due Date, enter 1/15/2023
You may complete and submit your Cal State Apply application before your recommenders submit their letters.
Lastly, please copy and paste the instructions below to include in the email request to your recommenders.
Thank you for providing a recommendation for an applicant. If possible, please consider the following areas of interest in your letter:
- Academic abilities & accomplishments
- Personal qualities & maturity
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people & social skills (e.g., communication, cooperation, responsibility, empathy)
- Obstacles overcome
- Any additional topics that you believe are relevant to the applicant’s preparation and suitability for this graduate program