The ITEP MSCP Pathway is only available to candidates in the Liberal Studies Bachelors Degree program at CSULB. If you are a CSULB Track I Liberal Studies student, have a CSULB major other than Liberal Studies, or currently hold a bachelors degree, click on "MSCP Traditional Pathway" in the navigation menu on the left for more information.
ITEP MSCP Pathway Overview
The Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP) combines the study of academic subjects aligned to California standards for the K-8 curriculum with professional preparation courses and field experiences leading to a Multiple Subject Credential. Students entering this program are Freshmen or Junior transfer students who have declared the Liberal Studies major at CSULB.
This is a "blended" program that combines a Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Studies and a Multiple Subject Credential. For more information on this program, please contact the Teacher Preparation Advising Center at 562-985-1105 or visit the Liberal Studies website.
Candidates enter the MSCP ITEP Program typically once they reach 60-90 units and have completed EDEL 200 in the Liberal Studies ITEP program. The MSCP ITEP program is comprised of a total of 34 units in addition to the Liberal Studies core courses.
ITEP MSCP Candidates have the opportunity to complete the ITEP MSCP Spanish BILA or ITEP MSCP Asian BILA in Korean, Mandarin or Vietnamese. Both of these options add an additional 6 units and an additional CSET exam to the program requirements.
MSCP ITEP Courses
Pre-Requisite (4 units)
- EDEL 100 - Intro to Teaching and Learning in Diverse Contemporary Classrooms (1 unit)
- EDEL 200 - Intro to the Teaching Profession (3 units)
You must earn a B or better grade in the pre-requisite course to be admitted to the MSCP.
Co-Requisite (13-15 units)
The co-requisite course can be taken prior to or after admission to MSCP. It must be completed prior to student teaching.
- EDSP 355A or EDSP 350 - Teaching Exceptional Individuals (3 units)
- ED P 301 - Child Development (3 units)
- H SC 411A - Health Science for Elementary Teachers (3units)
- KIN 476 - Physical Education for the Elementary School Teacher (3 units)
- EDEL 300 - Cultural and Linguistic Diversity in Schools (3 units)
Subject Specific Pedagogy/Methods Courses (15 units)
You must be officially admitted to the Multiple Subject Credential Program in order to take the following pedagogy courses. Candidates will be asked to present their "MSCP Admit Card" on the first day of class.
- EDEL 442 - Teaching and Learning Language Arts, K-8 (3 units)
- EDEL 452 - Teaching and Learning Reading, K-8 (3 units)
- EDEL 462 - Teaching and Learning Mathematics, K-8 (3 units)
- EDEL 472 - Teaching and Learning History-Social Science, K-8 (3 units)
- SCED 475 - Teaching and Learning Science, K-8 (3 units)
It is strongly recommended that students enroll in pedagogy courses in the following sequence.
Semester 1: EDEL 442 and EDEL 452
Semester 2: EDEL 462 and EDEL 472
SCED 475 may be taken in either semester or concurrently with student teaching (although this is not recommended).
Student Teaching (16 units)
Students must obtain a Student Teaching Application from the website nd apply to student teach at the beginning of the semester prior to take the course listed below.
- EDEL 482 - Student Teaching in Diverse Classrooms (16 units)
For a detailed course sequence on how to plan your MSCP pedagogy courses, Liberal Studies capstones and student teaching, see the Liberal Studies Graduation Roadmaps.
Candidates must meet the following admission criteria to be eligible for admission to the Multiple Subject Credential Program:
- Submission of a complete application packet prior to the appropriate deadline
- G.P.A. of at least 2.75 for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units, or 2.67 overall
- Completion and passage of oral interview with program faculty
- Verification of Basic Skills Requirement
- Valid Certificate of Clearance
- Current TB test verification
- Successful completion of pre-requisite course EDEL 200 with a B or better
More information regarding the Program Application Process is available.