General Admissions Process
- Use Cal State Apply to file all application materials before the deadline
- Pay a non-refundable $70 fee
- Submit your official transcripts
- Await notification
NOTE: The Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under "Program Materials - Documents Tab in Cal State Apply"
Completed applications must be submitted via Cal State Apply by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2020
Priority application due date: February 1, 2021
Application due date: June 1, 2021*
Applications are not accepted after the final deadline.
*Please note that international applicants (F1 or J1 visa) have an earlier deadline of April 1, 2021 for Fall 2021 consideration. Additionally, the Fall 2021 application deadline was extended from April 15, 2021 to June 1, 2021 for domestic applicants.
Cal State Apply Application
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: statement of purpose, copy of teaching credential, recommendations, etc.
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6AM – 5PM PT.
Program Materials – Documents Tab in Cal State Apply
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Upload the following on the 'Documents' tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- Submit proof of completing CTC preconditions in the same file with your résumé.
- Proof of your clear CA credential with English Learner authorization. This proof should be a print-out (i.e., screen shot) from the CTC website showing your clear or life CA credential (teaching credential, designated subjects, or PPS). Please be sure your credential print-out also includes proof of English learner authorization.
- Proof of completion of basic skills requirement (CBEST).
IMPORTANT: The accepted file formats for uploading your documents are MSWord (.doc, .docx), JPEG (.jpeg, .jpg), PNG (.png), Rich Text Format (.rtf), Portable Document Format (.pdf), and ASCII Text file (.txt). The size limit for each file upload is 15MB. Macintosh Users: Please be sure that the appropriate extension (e.g., .doc, .docx, .pdf) is at the end of the file name you select.
Statement of Purpose Prompt
Please write a 2-3 page Leadership Philosophy statement describing:
- Your educational preparation,
- Your experiences as a teacher or other educational professional, highlighting examples of your own leadership, and
- Your general philosophy of leadership which includes your beliefs on inclusiveness and equity
Statements should be typed and double spaced. Please use standard 1” margins and a 12 pt font. Your statement must be clear, concise, and mechanically correct.
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Résumé and Proof of Completing CTC Preconditions
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé and proof of completing CTC preconditions in the same file with your résumé. Proof of meeting the CTC preconditions must include all of the following:
- a print-out (i.e., screen shot) from the CTC website showing your clear or life CA credential (teaching credential, designated subjects, or PPS) including proof of English learner authorization and,
- proof of completion of the basic skills requirement (CBEST).
Need help with updating your résumé? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Program Materials: Recommendations Tab in Cal State Apply
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Be prepared to enter the name and email contact information for two people who will complete letters of recommendation for you in the ‘Recommendations’ tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply.
- Recommendations are preferred from those who are familiar with your experience and educational leadership potential. At least one letter must be from a current supervisor (e.g., principal).
- We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Please also review these helpful tips regarding recommendations.
Deadline for Priority Fall 2021: February 1, 2021
Deadline for Fall 2021: June 1, 2021*
Lastly, Cal State Apply allows you to enter a note to the recommender. Please copy and paste the instructions below to be included in the email request to your recommenders.
Please comment on the candidate’s overall abilities as well as their potential as a future administrator. It is helpful if you would also provide your impressions of the applicant’s:
- attitudes and actions toward individuals with disabilities as well as those from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds,
- level of community involvement,
- relationships with professional colleagues, and,
- leadership experiences in which they have engaged.
*The Fall 2021 recommendation submission deadline was extended from April 15, 2021 to June 1, 2021 for domestic applicants.