You are here



What is the difference between a multiple subject and a single subject credential?

A multiple subject credential authorizes holders to teach in public elementary schools where they are in a self contained classroom teaching all the subjects to the same group of students all day.

A single subject credential authorizes the holder to teach their specific subject area to middle and high school students.

I have a Multiple Subject Credential. Can I get a Single Subject Credential?

Yes, to add a single subject credential on to your multiple subject credential  candidates must first show subject matter competence in the subject area you want to teach (CSET or coursework) and take EDSS 450 Curriculum and Methods, in your subject area.  For more information, visit the SSCP Website or contact the SSCP office.

Can more than one subject be listed on a Single Subject Credential?

Yes, you can get a single subject credential in more than one area after you have your first credential.  You can add another single subject credential by completing subject matter competency for the additional area and taking the methods course for that subject area.  See a program advisor for more information or visit the website.

Are internships available?

Internships with selected school districts are available for students who qualify.  Students who qualify may use an emergency permit teaching position as the student teaching experience.  Both internships and use of an emergency permit position for student teaching have strict guidelines and are not automatically granted, even if the student already has a paid position.  Schools must be within the CSULB service area.  Students with an internship opportunity should contact the SSCP office.

Is financial aid available?

Candidates are encouraged to explore University loan and scholarship opportunities through the Office of Financial Aid (BH-101, 562-985-4641).  Scholarship assistance is available through the College of Education (ED1-5, 562-985-2330). Pell Grants, Cal T Grants, and the Assumption Program of Loans (APLE) are financial aid opportunities aimed explicitly at future teachers.  For more information about scholarships, visit the Center for Scholarship website.

How much does the Single Subject Credential Program cost?

The university fees are based on flat fees and not per units.  See the current Schedule of classes or Enrollment Services for the most up to date fees.

Is the Information Meeting mandatory?

It is highly advised that students attend one of the monthly information meeting as it gives candidates a chance to learn about the program and all the requirements.  Students may also speak with our advisors and ask questions at the meetings.  Information Meeting dates and times are posted online.

What is the difference between Subject Matter coursework and Credential coursework?

There are two parts to earning a preliminary credential. 

The first part is subject matter preparation (knowing what to teach) which consist of either coursework in your specific subject area or passing the CSET examinations in your subject area.

The second part is a Teacher Preparation Program (knowing how to teach) and this is your credential coursework.  This is the CSULB 45 units Single Subject Credential Program.

Both subject matter preparation and credential coursework must be complete to earn a credential.

Is there a sequence that program courses must be taken?

Yes, EDSS 300 must be taken prior to the core courses.  The co-requisite courses may be taken in any order and at any time.  They must be completed prior to student teaching. 

How can I waive the CSET?

If you completed an approved subject matter preparation program at an accredited college or university or completed a degree in your subject area you may qualify for a subject matter waiver.  Students must fill out a Subject Waiver Evaluation Request to have their transcripts evaluated for Subject Matter Competency.

What test do I need to take?

All candidates are required to show fundamental skills in reading, writing and math and this is done through passing the CBEST exam.  You will need to attempt all sections of this exam in order to be admitted to the program.

Candidates may also need to take the CSET exam in their specific subject area to show subject matter competence if coursework is not used.

How long are test scores valid?

The CBEST scores are good for life.  CSET scores are valid for 5 years while earning a credential. If a credential is earned during the five years, the scores are valid for life.  If a credential is not earned, the test must be retaken to demonstrate subject matter competency.

Is there a time limit in completing the program?

Candidates have 7 years from the time they start the program to finish the program. 

What can I teach with a Single Subject Credential?

A California Single Subject Credential authorizes you to teach in a California public middle and high school in your designated area.

How do I apply to the Single Subject Credential Program?

There are two separate applications that need to be filled out. 

1. Candidates must apply to the university online at  Tips on how to apply to the University are on the SSCP website

2. You must take EDSS 300.  This course is subject area specific and the application to the program is submitted in the class.

Keep in mind that these are two separate application processes and acceptance to the university does not guarantee acceptance into the program.  Please also note that EDSS 300 may not be offered in both semesters for some subject areas.

How long is the program?

The program can be completed in as few as 3 semesters (1 ½ years) if you attend full time.  If you still have subject matter courses to complete besides your professional preparation courses, it may take you longer to complete the program.  Candidates have 7 years to complete the program from the time they start.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

Yes, to be admitted to the program students must have a 2.67 overall GPA or 2.75 in their last 60 semester (90 quarter) units.

When are courses offered?

Courses are typically offered in the evenings from 4-6:45 or 7-9:45 one night a week (except for EDSS 300P which is a daytime only course).  It is very possible for candidates to be a full time student and work full time. You may view our Typically Offered Courses online.

Does your program start in both the Fall and Spring Semester?

Yes, our programs start in both the Fall and Spring semester with the exception of the following:

  • Art
  • Health
  • Languages Other than English (LOTE)
  • Physical Education
  • Music

The programs above only offer EDSS 300 in the Fall.  There may be exceptions to EDSS 300P.  It is best to check with the SSCP office if you plan to start Physical Education in the Spring.

Can I only take EDSS 300 my first semester?

No, you can take your co-requisites along with your EDSS 300 course in your first semester.

How does Open University work?

Open University allows students to take courses at the university without being a matriculated student.  Open University students pay a different fee rate and do not get priority registration.  More information about Open University can be found on the CCPE website.

When is the deadline to apply to the program?

The SSCP has a rolling admission period.  Once students have completed their EDSS 300 course and have a complete application packet they are eligible to apply to the program. 

Where do I get the program application?

The program application is in the EDSS 300 course packet available for purchase from the University Bookstore. You cannot apply to the program until you take EDSS 300.

Do you offer a joint credential/masters program?

No, we do not offer a joint program at this time.

How do I get started?

The first step to take is to apply to the university if you are not a CSULB student. Once you have been accepted to the University, you can register for the pre-requisite course (EDSS 300) and the co-requisite courses (EDSP 355B, HSC 411B, ED P 301 or 302 or 305, and a Level I Technology course). 

Please note-we recommend that you attend an information meeting before making your decision and/or starting the program.