Appeals to program decisions or requests for Single Subject Credential Program policy waivers, are made by filing a written appeal to the Single Subject Credential Program Petition Committee. The Committee reviews the written statement and supporting evidence. After the review, the Committee renders its final decision. Examples of items that can be petitioned are:
- Minimum grade point average required for program admission;
- Completing prerequisite course EDSS 300 prior to enrollment in core courses (EDSS 450 and EDSE courses);
- Completing all program courses prior to student teaching;
- Student teaching placement at a private school or using employment (other than University Internship) to fulfill student teaching requirement;
- Submission of a Student Teaching Application after the Deadline.
*Consult the Teacher Preparation Advising Center for items not listed here.
Petitions are heard monthly by the Single Subject Petition Committee during the fall and spring semesters. Petitions must be submitted one week prior to the Petition Committee meeting. To submit a petition, candidates should first make an appointment with a Single Subject advisor to discuss the type of petition and any supporting documents that are needed.
|Date of Single Subject Credential Program Committee Meeting||Deadline for Submitting Petitions via DocuSign|
|October 18, 2023||October 16, 2023 *Adjusted deadline due to CSET score release date|
|November 8, 2023||November 1, 2023|
|December 13, 2023||December 6, 2023|
Dates Coming Soon
How Do I Petition?
- Meet with your subject area coordinator to discuss your petition and the types of documents needed.
- Compose a written statement presenting your situation and reason for your request in full. This is your opportunity to provide the committee with ANY and ALL information that will assist them in determining whether or not an exception to SSCP policy should be made for your situation.
- Click the appropriate petition form below to complete the form via DocuSign.
- Attach your unofficial MyCSULB transcripts showing what credential coursework you have completed at CSULB.
- Attach any materials that support your written statement such as CBEST/CSET scores, Certificate of Clearance, verification of enrollment in supplemental courses, etc
- Submit your Petition form and all supporting documents via DocuSign.
Petition Forms (All forms are submitted via DocuSign at the links below)
SSCP General Petition Form - Use this form to petition any program policy other than the ones listed below. Please keep in mind that only program policies are petitionable. CSU, CTC and State policies and laws are not petionable.
Petition for Exceptional Admit with a Low GPA - Use this form to petition exceptional admit to the program or to student teaching with a low GPA.
Petition to Take Program Courses Prior to Admission - Use this form to petition to take program courses (core courses) prior to program admission.
How Will I Know the Result of My Petition?
A letter explaining the committee’s decision will be emailed to you within one week after the committee meeting.
If you need more information about the petitioning process, please contact your Credential Advisor or the Teacher Preparation Advising Center.