Appeals to program decisions or requests for Single Subject Credential Program policy waivers, are made by filing a written appeal to the Single Subject Credential Program Petition Committee. The Committee reviews the written statement and supporting evidence. After the review, the Committee renders its final decision. Examples of items that can be petitioned are:
- Minimum grade point average required for program admission;
- Completing prerequisite course EDSS 300 prior to enrollment in core courses (EDSS 450 and EDSE courses);
- Completing all program courses prior to student teaching;
- Student teaching placement at a private school or using employment (other than University Internship) to fulfill student teaching requirement;
- Submission of a Student Teaching Application after the Deadline.
*Consult the Teacher Preparation Advising Center for items not listed here.
Petitions are heard monthly by the Single Subject Petition Committee during the fall and spring semesters. Petitions must be submitted one week prior to the Petition Committee meeting. To submit a petition, candidates should make an appointment with a Single Subject advisor to discuss the type of petition and any supporting documents that are needed.
|Date of Single Subject Credential Program Committee Meeting||Deadline for Submitting Petition to the SSCP Petition One Drive File|
|August 19, 2020||August 12, 2020|
|September 2, 2020||August 26, 2020|
|October 7, 2020||September 30, 2020|
|November 10, 2020||November 4, 2020|
|December 9, 2020||December 2, 2020|
|February 3rd, 2021||January 27th, 2021 - 5pm|
|March 10th, 2021||March 3rd, 2021 - 5pm|
|April 14th, 2021||April 7th, 2021 - 5pm|
|May 12th, 2021||May 5th, 2021 - 5pm|
How Do I Petition?
- Obtain the appropriate petition from the Single Subject website. (Attached Below)
- Compose a written statement presenting your situation and reason for your request in full. This is your opportunity to provide the committee with ANY and ALL information that will assist them in determining whether or not an exception to SSCP policy should be made for your situation.
- Attach your unofficial MyCSULB transcripts showing what credential coursework you have completed at CSULB.
- Attach any materials that support your written statement such as CBEST/CSET scores, Certificate of Clearance, verification of enrollment in supplemental courses, etc
- Meet with your subject area advisor to discuss your petition and obtain his/her signature of acknowledgement or an email acknowledgement from your coordinator of your petition.
- Upload your Petition Cover Sheet and all supporting documents to the SSCP Petition One Drive File.
Candidates that are Petitioning to Submit their Student Teaching Application after the deadline for Spring 2021 due to late CBEST and/or CSET scores must submit the following items:
- SSCP General Petition Form
- Statement explaining why you could not complete the exam by the appropriate deadline.
- Passing CBEST and/or CSET scores
- MyCSULB Unofficial Transcripts
- Email from your subject area advisor acknowledging your petition.
Submit all of the items listed above to the SSCP Petition One Drive File ASAP. Decisions on these petitions will be rendered in a rolling basis and candidates will be notified as soon as a decision is made.
How Will I Know the Result of My Petition?
A letter explaining the committee’s decision will be emailed to you within one week after the committee meeting.
If you need more information about the petitioning process, please contact your Credential Advisor or the Teacher Preparation Advising Center.
Download Petition Forms
- SSCP General Petition Form (PDF) - Use this form to petition any program policy other than the ones listed below.
- Petition for Exceptional Admit with a Low GPA (PDF) - Use this form to petition exceptional admit to the program or to student teaching with a low GPA.
- Petition to Take Program Courses Prior to Admission (PDF) - Use this form to petition to take program courses (core courses) prior to program admission.