Students may earn the credential-only, or may pursue the credential along with the M.S. in Educational Technology and Media Leadership. Students must apply, and be admitted, to the correct program (view Application Process for additional information).
Nine courses (27 units) are required for the credential: six technology and media courses, two librarianship courses, and Field Experience.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum 3.00 overall grade point average in last degree (not credential or certificate) earned from an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants whose overall GPA is less than 3.00 but meet the University minimum GPA requirement and who present compelling evidence of academic and professional potential either through recent academic performance and/or experiential background, may be considered for admission at the discretion of the program admission committee.
- Valid California teaching credential. The credential pre-conditions of admission include:
1. A valid California teaching credential that requires a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution and a program of professional preparation, including student teaching or the equivalent, holds an English learner authorization, and has met the Basic Skills Requirement (or its equivalent, such as the CBEST); or
2. A valid, clear full-time designated subjects teaching credential or a clear career technical education credential (including adult education credential), provided the applicant also possesses a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, holds an English learner authorization, and has met the Basic Skills Requirement (or its equivalent, such as the CBEST).
- International applicants have additional university application requirements including meeting the English language proficiency requirement. Please visit The Center for International Education (CIE) website at www.csulb.edu/cie for more information.
Complete the following core courses (24 units):
- ETEC 510 - Foundations of Educational Technology and Media (3 units)
- ETEC 523 - Information and Digital Literacies (3 units)
- ETEC 525 - Digital Culture and Society (3 units)
- ETEC 530 - Leadership in Technology and Media (3 units)
- ETEC 540 - Organization of Resources (3 units)
- ETEC 551 - Education and the Internet (3 units)
- ETEC 570 - E-Learning Design and Development (3 units)
- ETEC 545 - Reading for Leisure and Learning (3 units)
Field Experience (3 units):
- ETEC 580 - Field Experience in Educational Technology (3 units)
Note: Equivalency credit may be allowed for coursework completed at CSULB or other universities prior to enrolling in the Teacher Librarian Services Credential Program. Generally, coursework must have been completed within the past seven (7) years but each request will be evaluated individually by the Credential Coordinator.
For a description of the courses, please see the University Catalog. Classes are usually hybrid, offered on Saturdays 8AM to 5pPM (most meet for a half day) or on weekday evenings. Students may plan carefully to take all credential courses on Saturdays. Matriculated students enroll online via MyCSULB.
Most courses are offered annually:
- Fall courses are typically ETEC 510, ETEC 523, ETEC 525, ETEC 570
- Spring courses are typically ETEC 530, ETEC 551, ETEC540 (2019, 2021), ETEC 545 (2020, 2022)
- ETEC 580 (field experience) is usually offered each semester by permit
Teacher Librarian Services candidates who also earn the Educational Technology & Media Leadership degree will take additional courses in research methods as well as complete an exit requirement of comprehensive exam, thesis or project.
Additional courses for degree in Educational Technology & Media Leadership:
Complete the following courses (3 units):
- EDP 400
Choose one exit requirement (3-6 units):
- Comprehensive exam with ETEC 695 (3 units)
- Thesis with EDP 698 (6 units taken over two semesters)
- Project with EDP 699 (6 units taken over two semesters)