You are here

Music Credential FAQs


Q. How do I get into the credential program?

A. Admission to the University and to the credential program is two separate processes. CSULB students may take EDSS 300N during the spring semester of their junior or senior year.

Application to the credential program is made while enrolled in EDSS 300N. During the final semester as an undergrad, students must apply to the University Graduate Program with careful attention to deadlines. Once admitted to the credential program, CSULB undergraduates may take up to 12 units of credential program courses during their senior year. They must file a petition to count those units as graduate units. All other candidates who hold a BS, BA, or BM should apply first to the University Graduate Program. Applications can be completed online or obtained from the Music Department and Enrollment Services.

When applying to the University, candidates should mark the area "Single Subject Credential Program" as their intended program. This does not constitute application to the program, but informs the University of your intentions. Application to the credential program occurs in EDSS 300N, Introduction to Teaching (Music). This course is offered only during the spring semester (Wednesday, from 4-7PM). Candidates who have not been admitted to the University may begin to take courses through Open University. All candidates must eventually be matriculated university students.

Q: What about CLAD?

A: Students who were admitted to the program prior to July 1, 2002 are held to the CLAD requirements if their district requires authorization to teach second language learners (this program is outlined on the SSCP website). The The second language requirement has been discontinued for all CLAD programs. Students who were admitted to the program after July 1, 2002 will automatically earn their "English Learner Authorization" as a result of the program's incorporation of AB 1059. These students do NOT have to complete a separate CLAD program.

Q: When should I take CBEST?

A: Students can take CBEST any time; however, it is a requirement in EDSS 300N, Introduction to Teaching - Music. All parts of the CBEST must be taken before students can be admitted to the program. A "Chancellor's requirement" states that all students must demonstrate fundamental skills in reading and writing before they can be admitted to the program. If a student fails this portion of CBEST, they must have a "C" or better in a "critical thinking/reading" course and pass the Writing Proficiency Exam (WPE). Students who do not pass the math portion will be admitted. All students must pass the entire exam in order to student teach.

Q: Are study guides available for the required tests?

A: A study guide is available for CBEST

Q. What if I don't pass the exam(s)?

A. If you do NOT pass the CSET exam in music, then we recommend that you enroll at CSULB in the CCTC-approved program in music education (choral/vocal or instrumental option).

Q: What if I don't have a degree in music?

A. If you have a degree in a subject other than music, it is highly unlikely that you will have the knowledge to pass the required examinations. Remember that the exams are equivalent to four years of study in the discipline of music culminating in a BA or BM in music. Students in this situation complete a second bachelor's degree in music; however, CSULB is not currently enrolling students seeking second bachelor's degrees.

Q. How do I get an Emergency Permit?

A. Emergency permits to serve as a substitute teacher (30-day permits) are issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing through a school district. To qualify, you must pass CBEST and apply for a substitute position through the district personnel office. Because the federal No Child Left Behind Act does not recognize the California 5-year emergency permit as representing "qualified teaching," all non-credentialed teachers must enroll in an internship program immediately upon being hired by a district.