Online Application Submission
Steps in the Application Process
The Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under the "Program Application Materials on MyCED" below.
Completed applications must be submitted by the following deadlines:
Application period began: October 1, 2023
- Cal State Apply Application due date for domestic applicants: June 1, 2024*
- MyCED Application due date: June 10, 2024
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
*Please note that international applicants (F1 or J1 visa) have an earlier Cal State Apply application deadline of March 15, 2024 for Fall 2024 consideration.
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: enter "I am not adding any program materials" (these will be submitted on MyCED)
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, via email, or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6:00AM – 5:00PM PT.
After you complete and submit the CSULB Cal State Apply application, please upload supplementary program application materials via MyCED by the MyCED program application deadline:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- A copy of your credential (if held)
Statement of Purpose Prompt
This writing sample is a presentation of you as a prospective graduate student, thus a clear and concise writing sample is essential. Using double-spacing and 12-point Times New Roman font, clearly articulate your responses to all prompts below in no more than two pages.
Our program prepares teachers and professionals to serve students with disabilities and their families from diverse backgrounds (racial and ethnic, socioeconomic, religious, gender, etc.).
- Describe your personal strengths, including educational, professional, and lived experiences that will contribute to our master’s program and to the field of special education (e.g., bilingualism, work experience, racial or ethnic background, socioeconomic class, etc.).
- Please describe three things you would like to learn or skills you hope to develop from participating in the master’s program.
- Finally, discuss how you will apply the knowledge and/or skills gained in the master’s program to serve diverse students with disabilities and their families more effectively.
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé.
Need help with updating your resume? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tips and Tutorials for Applying website
Please upload a copy of your teaching credential, if held. This proof should be a print-out (i.e., screen shot) from the CTC website.
Be prepared to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders. Recommendations due by June 10, 2024. You may complete and submit your MyCED application before your recommenders submit their letters.
Who to ask
Recommendations are preferred from a supervisor in a professional setting, a university instructor, or maybe a general recommendation. We encourage you to seek the strongest possible recommendations regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request from MyCED will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf which will include the required recommendation form. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Within the recommendation form, your recommenders will be instructed to respond to the following two questions:
Please provide additional information relevant to the applicant’s suitability for graduate study by answering the two questions below. We are especially interested in the applicant’s strengths and challenges with regard to potential for graduate study and future success as a professional. These comments are weighed very heavily by our admissions committee.
- Question 1: Please describe 2-3 strengths that would make the applicant a good candidate for a graduate program in the field of Special Education.
- Question 2: Please describe any concerns you have regarding the candidate’s ability to successfully participate in the graduate program.