Online Application Submission
General Admissions Process
- Complete the University application on Cal State Apply and pay a non-refundable $70 fee.
- Submit program materials through MyCED after completing the University application. Both applications are due by the application deadline.
- Submit official transcripts.
- Await notification.
- Group interviews for admission will be held in June 2023 (date TBA).
Completed applications must be submitted by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2022
Application due date: June 1, 2023*
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
*Please note that international applicants (F1 or J1 visa) have an earlier deadline of March 15, 2023 for Fall 2023 consideration.
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: statement of purpose, recommendations, etc.
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6AM – 5PM PT.
After you complete and submit the university application, please upload supplementary program application materials via MyCED by the application deadline:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- A copy of your credential (if held)
Statement of Purpose Prompt
In approximately two pages, double-spaced, 12-point standard font, clearly articulate and discuss your responses to the following prompts below. This is a presentation of you as a prospective graduate student, thus a clear and concise written sample is essential.
- Personal attributes, assets, and funds of knowledge that contribute to the master’s program and to the field of special education (i.e. bilingualism, work experience).
- How you hope to apply the knowledge and skills gained in the master’s program to more effectively serve diverse students with disabilities and their families.
- Your ability to self-reflect about your positionality in relation to marginalized students and communities and its impact to work effectively with them.
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Please upload the most recent copy of your résumé.
Need help with updating your resume? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Please upload a copy of your teaching credential, if held. This proof should be a print-out (i.e., screen shot) from the CTC website.
Be prepared to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders. Recommendations are preferred from a supervisor in a professional setting, a university instructor, or maybe a general recommendation. We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
When specifying the Due Date, enter 6/1/2023.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Lastly, please ask your recommenders to:
Please provide information relevant to the applicant’s suitability for graduate study. We are especially interested in the applicant’s strengths and challenges with regard to potential for graduate study and future success as a professional. These comments are weighed very heavily by our admissions committee.