General Admissions Process
- Use Cal State Apply to file your application before the deadline
- Pay a non-refundable $70 fee
- Have your official transcripts & GRE Scores submitted to the University
- (GRE Waived for Fall 2021 Application Cycle)
- Await notification
Please see the left-hand navigation menu for detailed information about each of these steps. If you have any questions or need help with the application process, please contact the Educational Leadership Office at email@example.com
Completed applications must be submitted via Cal State Apply by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2020
Application due date: February 15, 2021
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
Cal State Apply Application Deadline
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: Statement of Purpose, recommendations, etc.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6AM – 5PM PT.
Program Materials - Documents Tab in Cal State Apply
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Upload the following on the 'Documents' tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- Writing Sample
IMPORTANT: The accepted file formats for uploading your documents are MSWord (.doc, .docx), JPEG (.jpeg, .jpg), PNG (.png), Rich Text Format (.rtf), Portable Document Format (.pdf), and ASCII Text file (.txt). The size limit for each file upload is 15MB. Macintosh Users: Please be sure that the appropriate extension (e.g., .doc, .docx, .pdf) is at the end of the file name you select.
Statement of Purpose Prompt
The function of the Statement of Purpose is to allow the Ed.D. Program admissions committee an opportunity to learn more about each candidate. Please limit the statement to 3 double spaced pages. The statement should be clear, concise, and mechanically correct. It should address the following areas
- Your educational experiences that have prepared you to embark on a doctoral program
- Your professional work experiences as an educational professional, highlighting specific examples demonstrating your leadership skills
- Your general philosophy of leadership which includes your beliefs on inclusiveness, diversity, and your commitment to critically assessing current educational challenges facing leaders in urban settings
- Your reasons for seeking a doctoral degree and how it will help you meet professional goals.
Resume & Writing Sample
Please upload the most recent copy of your resume that includes a contact phone number and email and a Writing Sample, in one single file.
Your resume must include all pertinent and dated education and work experience information that responds to the following four areas:
- demonstrated preparation and experience in leadership related to education
- professional or community service engagement
- scholarship and research potential which might include professional presentations, academic awards, evaluation and program improvement activities, professional development, publications, thesis work, or research interests
Please limit the resume to 2 - 3 professionally formatted pages.
The purpose of the writing sample is to demonstrate the level of the candidate's writing skills and his/her degree of readiness to embark on a writing intensive academic experience. Examples of acceptable samples might include representative research reports, publications, class papers, or a master's thesis.
The sample will be evaluated on the following four dimensions:
- the ability to identify and address a significant educational problem or issue within your discipline
- the ability to demonstrate insight and thoughtful commentary regarding the problem
- the ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely
- the ability to produce a product that is mechanically correct and free from grammatical and spelling errors.
Program Materials: Recommendations Tab in Cal State Apply
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Be prepared to enter email contact information for three recommenders in the ‘Recommendations’ tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply.
You are allowed to submit up to 4 letters:
- One recommendation is preferred from your current supervisor in a professional setting. If you’re unable to secure a recommendation from your current supervisor you have two options:
1) Preferred Option: Letter of Support from Supervisor indicating his/her knowledge of your intention to enroll in a doctoral program and his/her support of the endeavor.
2) If a supervisor's letter cannot be provided, please include a personal statement describing your plan for meeting your professional responsibilities and the demands of the program. Please keep the statement to no more than 1 typed double spaced page
- Other recommendations can be from former supervisors, or a university faculty member, or may be a general recommendation.
We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Deadline for Fall 2021: February 15, 2021
Lastly, Cal State Apply allows you to enter a note to the recommender. Please copy and paste the instructions below to be included in the email request to your recommenders.
Please attach the recommendation form and letter (on letterhead) as 1 single document using the link provided.
Please write candidly about:
- the applicant’s educational leadership potential and skills
- ability to succeed in a rigorous program of doctoral study
- interest in critically assessing and bringing about improvements in educational policies and practices.