Olfat Mohamed, PhD, PT
Professor, Physical Therapy
- PhD, Physical Therapy (1989): University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California.
- MS, Physical Therapy (1979): Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.
- BS, Physical Therapy (1974): Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt.
At this time my active area of research is in prevention of falls in older adults. This research involves offering a multidisciplinary fall prevention program to a group of seniors through the Osher’s Life Long Learning Institute. This program is offered on campus and at Leisure World of Seal Beach. I’m also interested in gait analysis and plantar pressure.
- Community Service Award, California State University, Long Beach, 2013
- Alumni Grant. California State University, Long Beach, 2013.
- SCAN Health Plan Community Giving, 2012.
- Multidisciplinary Research Award. California State University. Long Beach, California, 2011.
- University Achievement Award. California State University. Research Symposium. 2010.
- Scholarly and Creative Activities Award. California State University. Long Beach, California, 2005.
- Faculty Research Award, APTA 2004.
- Best Poster Presentation, CPTA 2004.
- Mohamed O, Craig D, Worden H, Ayyappa E,: Clinical Assessment of Gait. In: Orthotics and Prosthetics in Rehabilitation. Ed: Lusardi er al. Elsevier Saunders 2013.
- Mohamed O, Cerny K, Jones W, Burnfield JM: The Effect of Terrain on foot pressures during walking. Foot & Ankle Int. 26:859-869, 2005.
- Mohamed O, Cerny K, Rojek L, Hebert K, Rebecca Turner R and Waistell S. The effects of plastazote¬Æ and plastazote¬Æ-aliplast¬Æ orthotics on plantar pressures in elderly persons with diabetic neuropathy. Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics 16: 55-63, 2004.
- Burnfield JM, Cummings CD, Mohamed O, Perry J. The influence of walking speed and footwear on plantar pressure values in older adults. Clinical Biomechanics 19: 78-84, 2004
- Byl N, Gerber J, Mohamed O, Hanny M, Kotler J, Smith A, Tang M and Abrams G: Effectiveness of Sensory and Motor Rehabilitation of the Upper Limb Following the Principals of Neuroplasticity: Patients Stable Post Stroke. Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair. 17: 176-191, 2004.
- Mohamed O, Cerny K: Effect of knee brace on VMO and VL EMG activity during five knee exercises. Bulletin of Faculty of Physical Therapy. 25: 41-48, 2003
- Bogey R. Cerny K. Mohamed O.: Repeatability of wire and surface electrodes in gait. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 82(5): 338-344, 2003.
- Mohamed O, Perry J, Hislop H: Synergy of medial and lateral hamstrings at three positions of tibial rotation during maximum isometric knee flexion. The Knee 10: 277-281, 2003.
- Mohamed O, Perry J, Hislop H: Relationship between wire EMG activity, muscle length and torque of the hamstrings. Clin Biomech Oct; 17(8): 569-579, 2002.