Strategic Communications teaches officers how to stay calm and professional under verbal assault and how to generate voluntary compliance from even the most difficult people. This course also teaches officers to identify when their words have failed and how to transition, through tactics, into the escalation of force. The ability to communicate effectively is an officer's greatest asset. This will enhance officer safety and promote public confidence in law enforcement.
- On the third day of class, student groups will develop a curriculum proposal that can be made ready for POST certification. The curriculum developed will meet the POST Perishable Skills mandate in Communications. Student groups will make a 20 minute presentation on their completed project.
- Students are requested to bring their laptops.
- Student projects will be downloaded to all the students for future reference.
- Students will also receive tools for future instruction (curriculum guide & DVD)
$333 (Garden Grove) 24 Hours, POST Plan IV
$397 (La Quinta) 24 Hours, POST Plan IV
2020 - 2021 Dates
|20001||August 19-21, 2020||Sheraton Garden Grove||Completed|
|20002||October 5-7, 2020||Sheraton Garden Grove||Completed|
|20003||December 7-9, 2020||Embassy Suites La Quinta||Completed|
|20004||February 22-24, 2021||Sheraton Garden Grove||Waitlisted|
|20005||April 26-28, 2021||Sheraton Garden Grove||Open|
|20006||June 7-9, 2021||Embassy Suites La Quinta||Open|
Course Control Number
Sheraton Garden Grove
12221 Harbor Blvd
Garden Grove, CA 92840
For those participants who will be flying in, the John Wayne Airport (SNA) is the closest airport.
Embassy Suites La Quinta
50777 Santa Rosa Plaza
La Quinta, CA 92253
For those participants who will be flying in, the Ontario International Airport (ONT) or the Palm Springs Airport (PSP) is the most convenient.
Because classes fill up quickly, we strongly encourage registering as soon as possible. Please have your training department contact the Center for Criminal Justice at CSULB or call 562.985.4940 to make your reservations. If you make a reservation via email please include the following information:
- Name and Date of Class
- Training Managers Name
- Training Managers Phone Number
- Training Managers Email Address
- Agency Name
- Name of Attendee(s)
- POST ID # for Attendee(s)
- Attendee's Email Address
You will receive a confirmation email letting you know that we have registered you for the class. Reservations are on a first come first serve basis, a waitlist will be established once the maximum number of students has been met.
- S.A.F.E.R. - moving beyond words
- Understanding verbal abuse and the principle of disinterest
- Principles of disinterest: keeping the mind flexible – habit of mind (keywords/phrases)
- The three main types of people we deal with
- How to handle verbal abuse through deflection and redirection
- The contact professional
- The three great arts
- Communication concepts
- Proxemics – spatial relations
- The tactical 8-step vehicle stop approach
- The five-step technique
- Leaps – the five tools to generate voluntary compliance
- The art of paraphrasing - the most powerful communication tool
- The four appeals; sources of persuasion
- How to diagnose a verbal encounter – P.A.C.E.
- Program implementation models