Reading and Literacy Added Authorization (Online)
The Reading and Literacy Added Authorization Program will prepare classroom teachers to become a more effective and reflective literacy teacher and literacy leader (e.g., a literacy coach) in their school.
The Reading and Literacy Added Authorization Program is offered at College of Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE).
The program consists of five 3-unit courses that cover literacy instruction and assessment, literacy instruction across content areas, literacy instruction for English language learners and struggling students, integrating technology to enhance literacy instruction, and connections between literacy theory, research, and practices. Addressing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and STEM content areas within the context of literacy instruction will be focused across all five courses.
Prior to the recommendation of Reading and Literacy Added Authorization, the candidate will need to establish a file in the Credential Center at College of Education and submit verification of the information below:
- Valid Teaching Credential (requiring a bachelor’s degree and a professional preparation program, including student teaching, OR a Clear full-time designated subject (requiring a bachelor’s degree)
- Met the Basic Skills Requirement (ex. CBEST or other CTC approved route)
- Possess an English Learner Authorization
- Provide verification of 3 years successful, full-time teaching experience
Special Features and Benefits
- Classes are held online and are self-paced.
- The program is scheduled during two consecutive summer semesters and one winter session: 1st summer semester (2 courses), 1 winter session (1 course), and 2nd summer semester (2 courses).
- Program is accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
- At the completion of the program, participants can apply for CTC's Reading and Literacy Added Authorization at Credential Center at College of Education https://www.csulb.edu/college-of-education/credential-center/files-and-applications/applying-your-service-or-specialist. For more information about Reading and Literacy Added Authorization, please refer to https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/req-added-auth.
Who Should Apply
- Teachers, who wish to earn the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization at the completion of the program,
- hold a valid California Multiple, Single, or Education Specialist credential and who have completed a professional preparation program including student teaching.
- hold a valid clear, full-time designated subjects teaching credential, and have met the basic skills requirement (ex: CBEST or or other CTC approved route)
- hold a valid English Learner Authorization (required prior to the completion of the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization Program)
- Teachers in a community college or in an educational setting who wish to enhance their knowledge and skills of teaching reading and writing, and teaching literacy across content areas.
- Teachers who aim to teach reading and writing across the curriculum and with an integration of technology.
- Teachers who aim to become critical consumers of research, and become skillful at making a connection between research, theory, and practices.