SERVE, Clinical I, II, and III fieldwork opportunities all take place at a school site or facility with minors, therefore all students are required to obtain clearance from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and provide a negative TB test result prior to placement.
All students completing fieldwork associated with a CSULB course or credential program must have a valid Certificate of Clearance and TB Test prior to requesting a fieldwork placement with a partnering school district. Candidates seeking a fieldwork placement in LBUSD must follow the steps below in addition to obtaining a Certificate of Clearance and TB Test to receive district level clearance before being placed.
- Check the list of approved Fieldwork sites to ensure we have an Affiliation Agreement on file with the school district. If the district is listed, then all schools within the district are approved. Check the columns at the top of the AA chart to ensure the district is approved for student teaching. Fieldwork CANNOT be done in a district in which we do not have an agreement on file for liability purposes.
- Contact the school site directly and request a placement once the semester begins. When visiting the school site for the first time, you should bring with you the following items:
- 1) Your valid Certificate of Clearance/30 Day Sub Permit/Activity Supervisor Permit/Child Development Permit,
- 2) Valid TB Test (skin tests and TB risk assessments are valid for 4 years; chest x-rays are valid for 8 years),
- 3) Copy of course syllabi, S4 verification letter for the course, or a letter from your instructor explaining the fieldwork requirement for your course.
The school site will let you know the procedure to complete fieldwork within their district.
LBUSD Teacher Candidate Fieldwork Clearance and Application Process
Accepted: August 1 – September 1, 2022
The following steps are required if you are interested in completing clinical practice/fieldwork hours for SERVE, Clinical I, or Clinical II fieldwork at a Long Beach Unified School District site. LBUSD will secure a placement for you after you have completed the LBUSD Clearance and Application Process. This is a three-step process: 1. Submitting the LBUSD Student Teacher/Teacher Candidate Fieldwork Application 2. Fingerprinting, and 3. Receiving your placement from the district and recording it in S4@theBeach.
Step 1: Complete LBUSD Teacher Candidate Fieldwork Application – (August 1, 2022 - September 1, 2022)
Click on the following link to complete the LBUSD Teacher Candidate Fieldwork Application - LBUSD Student Teacher/Teacher Candidate Fieldwork Application
Important: The following documents must be uploaded to the application for it to be submitted:
- Government issued photo ID
- TB Test: LBUSD requires a current TB Test within 60 days of your application or a completed TB questionnaire signed off by a physician.
Exception: Current permanent employees may use the TB test on file if still valid. Please reach out to April Gutierrez at Agarcia6@lbschools.net to verify.
- COVID 19 Vaccination Status: Valid proof of full vaccination status or a negative COVID-19 test result obtained within the past 7 days will be required prior to entering any LBUSD school site
Step 2: Fingerprinting through LBUSD (Complete ASAP)
- Go to www.ApplicantServices.com/LBSVOL to make an appointment to be fingerprinted by appointment ONLY. Please see the attached directions provided by LBUSD on how to schedule your appointment. Choose the appropriate Reason for Application (Job Title) as listed in the examples.
- All candidates that would like to complete fieldwork in LBUSD must fingerprint with the LBUSD HR. They will not accept a Certificate of Clearance or fingerprinting from any other agency, which is required before any ability to move forward in the process.
Exception: If you are a current permanent employee of LBUSD, please notify April Gutierrez at AGarcia6@lbschools.net for further details on your fingerprinting status.
Substitute Teachers MUST fingerprint due to additional clearances required.
Step 3: Documentation of Placement
- Receive classroom assignments directly from LBUSD by October 1, 2022.
- Follow the steps to upload all required information into S4@TheBeach.
For all LBUSD Questions: Please contact April Gutierrez at AGarcia6@LBSchools.net, in the LBUSD's Teacher Development Office, for any application or clearance questions. Once your application is processed and cleared, you will be contacted via email by district staff with your fieldwork assignment. You need to reply to the email to accept or decline the placement. If you are no longer planning to do fieldwork in LBUSD, please respond to your placement email to let them know so your placement can be given to another candidate. Placement can take up to 4 weeks, so plan accordingly.
For questions pertaining to placements or student teaching, please feel free to contact our office.