General Admissions Process
- Use Cal State Apply to file all application materials before the deadline
- Pay a non-refundable $70 fee
- Submit your official transcripts
- Await notification
NOTE: The Statement of Purpose prompt and other required materials may be found under "Program Materials - Documents Tab in Cal State Apply"
Completed applications must be submitted via Cal State Apply by the following deadline:
Application period begins: October 1, 2021
Application due date: June 1, 2022*
Applications are not accepted after the deadline.
*Please note that international applicants (F1 or J1 visa) have an earlier deadline of April 1, 2022 for Fall 2022 consideration.
Cal State Apply Application
Use Cal State Apply to apply and be sure to complete all components of the application by the published deadline.
The Cal State Apply dashboard is divided into four sections:
- Personal Information: contact information, biographic information and financial information, etc.
- Academic History: colleges attended, GPAs, etc.; do not hand-enter transcript information
- Supporting Information: enter “I am not adding any experiences”
- Program Materials: statement of purpose, recommendations, etc.
Please refer the tutorial on the GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying website for tips on filling out these sections of Cal State Apply. Please also refer below for detailed information for what documents to submit for the program materials.
Lastly, there is a non-refundable $70 application fee. Your application will not be processed until this fee has been paid. Please note that the CSU system does not offer a fee waiver for graduate level applications.
Important: you may only apply to one graduate program per CSU. If you are unsure about which program is best for you, contact the Graduate Studies Office.
For technical assistance with Cal State Apply, please contact the Cal State Apply Help Desk: (857) 304-2087, CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com or visit the Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center. Cal State Apply Application Support is available Monday – Friday, 6AM – 5PM PT.
Program Materials – Documents Tab in Cal State Apply
Section 4 of Cal State Apply application requires you to submit supplementary program materials for the Admissions Review Committee. Upload the following on the 'Documents' tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply:
- Statement of purpose (prompt provided below)
- A copy of your credential (if held)
- Unofficial transcripts
Statement of Purpose Prompt
Submit a 2-3 page, double-spaced, 12-point font response addressing the following two questions:
- What are your professional and academic experiences that led you to apply to the program?
- What are your professional and academic goals and how will this program help you achieve them?
Each question may be answered sequentially or you may integrate your responses to all questions into one central discussion.
Need help with writing your Statement of Purpose? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Please upload the most recent copy of your resume.
Need help with updating your resume? Visit our website for tips and resources: GSO Tutorials and Tips for Applying
Copy of Teaching Credential
Please upload a copy of your teaching credential, if held.
Copy of Unofficial Transctipts
Please upload an unofficial transcript from each university or college where you earned a baccalaureate, graduate degree and/or credential.
Program Materials: Recommendations Tab in Cal State Apply
Be prepared to enter the name and email contact information for two people who will complete letters of recommendation for you in the ‘Recommendations’ tab in the Program Materials section of Cal State Apply. Recommendations are preferred from a supervisor in a professional setting, or a university faculty member, or may be a general recommendation. We encourage you to seek the strongest possible letters regardless of the source. Therefore, we suggest speaking with your recommenders before completing this section.
Once you have entered and saved information for a recommender, an email request will automatically be sent to the recommender on your behalf. Please advise your recommender to look for this email in their inbox, as well as their spam or junk-mail folder, as emails do occasionally get filtered out.
Please also review these helpful tips regarding recommendations.
When specifying Due Date, enter June 1, 2022
You may complete and submit your Cal State Apply application before your recommenders submit their letters.
Lastly, Cal State Apply allows you to enter a note to the recommender. Please copy and paste the instructions below to be included in the email request to your recommenders.
Please provide the following relevant to the applicant’s suitability for graduate study:
- Academic abilities & intellectual capacity;
- Personal qualities & maturity;
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people;
- Obstacles overcome;
- Any additional topics that you believe are relevant to the applicant’s preparation and suitability for this graduate program.
- It is not necessary to address each of the topics noted above, especially if you do not have a basis for commenting on a certain area.
This information has been updated and is final for Fall 2022.