Major, Minor & Certificate Requests

CHHS Advising can only review requests for programs under the College of Health & Human Services (CHHS). You can view the list of requirements for each program on our Requirements Worksheets page. If you are interested in changing to a program objective outside of CHHS, please contact the advising center that advises for your prospective major, minor or certificate.

Click here to view all our majors, minors and certificates. 


  • Major, minor, and certificate decisions depend on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, requirements, your completed courses, and your time to graduation. Major, minor, and certificate changes are not guaranteed. You should plan for alternatives in case your request is denied.
  • Due to particularly high demand, Nursing and Social Work require supplemental applications before students may be admitted to these majors. If you are interested in switching to Pre-Nursing, please contact the University Center for Undergraduate Advising (UCUA) to discuss eligibility.
  • You must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in your cumulative, CSULB major, and upper-division majors GPAs to submit a request to declare a double major, minor, or certificate.
  • Due to the above GPA requirements, we cannot add double majors, minors, or certificates for first-semester transfer students. Once you have a CSULB GPA, you can submit your request.
  • Pre-majors interested in adding a minor or certificate: you must be fully declared in your major first. Please wait to submit a request until after you are declared.
  • To declare a major, you must meet all Major Specific Requirements (MSR) for the intended major.
  • If you do not meet MSR and have not reached junior standing (60 units +), you may be placed into the pre-major instead.
  • If your request does not comply with CSULB’s Timely Graduation Policy, your request will be denied.

  1. Complete the online Degree Objective Change Form. You must do this before speaking with an advisor about your request.
  2. Within ten (10) business days, decision will be sent to your CSULB email.

It is important to submit your request well in advance of registration or any other deadlines. CHHS Advising is not responsible for registration delays that may occur while requests are being reviewed and/or processed.

  • If your request is approved, you will meet with an advisor to discuss your new academic plan and class schedule.

  • If your request is denied and you would like to discuss it with an advisor, please join a drop-in advising session. 

  • Major, minor, and certificate changes must also be processed by Enrollment Services. This takes additional time before your change is finalized. You will receive an email from Enrollment Services letting you know when your record is updated.