Listed below are assessment tools supported by ATS:
Use the BeachBoard Quiz Tool to create, manage, and grade your assessments.
Watch this video for an overview of using BeachBoard quizzes and the Respondus Quiz Maker tool (not to be confused with Respondus Lockdown Browser):
This frameset document contains:
Respondus Exams & Lockdown Browser
Visit the ATS Respondus site for more information and resources for using these tools in your courses:
- Respondus is an application that lets instructors create and manage exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to BeachBoard. Over 2,000 publisher test banks are available to Respondus users.
- Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within BeachBoard for securing online exams in classrooms or proctored environments.
Qualtrics Survey Development
Qualtrics is a web-based survey tool for conducting survey research, evaluations and other data collection activities. It is open to all CSULB students, staff, and faculty. Download the data collected for analysis in SPSS, SAS, Minitab or other statistical software products.
Parscore & Scantron Scoring Machines
ParScore is software that provides an integrated system for scoring tests, building grade books, and printing statistical reports using the Scantron optical reader. Instructors run students' test sheets through the Scantron machine which will gather the test data into statistical reporting formats. The system supports exam analysis and record keeping.
Scantron scanners are located throughout the campus and in Academic Technology Services (AS 120). For a scanner near you, review the CSULB List of Scanner Locations. Students must use the appropriate Scantron forms, which they can purchase in the campus bookstore (Departments are not required to buy forms). Popular forms include the 815-E, 882-E, 882-E LOVAS, 886-E LOVAS and the item analysis form 9700.
The Scantron Model 888P+ is an optical mark reader (OMR) and is fast, scoring up to 2000 tests per hour. It is a stand-alone machine and is not connected to any computer or printer.
Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT)
SPOT is an assessment instrument used at CSULB to provide student feedback on faculty teaching behaviors. Faculty Affairs implements SPOT policies; Academic Technology Services provides equipment and staff to support the distribution and collection of assessment forms.
Remote Assessment Resources
Proctored remote exams require substantial planning and setup on the part of instructors and students. It may be helpful to consider alternative formats for assessing learning. Below is a selection of articles and resources to guide your planning:
- Virtual Learning: Student Privacy and Online Assessment [PDF], CSULB, Academic Technology Services
- Alternatives to High Stakes Assessments Chart [PDF], CSULB, Academic Technology Services
- Online Proctored Exams Considerations [PDF]
- Remote Exams and Assessments, Rutgers University
- Alternatives to Traditional Testing, UC Berkeley
- Handling Exams When Your Course Unexpectedly Moves Online, IU Bloomington