Academic Technology Strategy and Innovation
Academic Technology Services investigates, develops and implements key plans and processes that align our work with the University's Strategic Plan.
Always researching, we are not just interested in, "What's Next?" but what makes sense in a higher education landscape and what will be valuable to students and instructors on our campus. Our goals are to find solutions that are accessible, equitable, and scalable.
We're currently implementing or investigating:
- Integrating chatbots to supplement support channels
- Creating AR, VR and 3D models that can be directly plugged into everyday instructor presentations
- Building open digital information repositories tied to assessment surveys to create models of curated content for learners
We develop strategic plans that not only align with the priorities of the institution, but steers the course toward the ATS mission and vision for the future.
Some of the key strategic priorities accomplished by ATS include:
- Guiding colleges toward a campus-wide increase in online and hybrid course conversions
- Building an express computer lab in the new Student Success Center
- Constructing next-generation classrooms
- Developing tools within our learning management system to improve data analysis of student learning outcomes
- Producing personnel development plans for leadership, staff, student assistant and internships
Our application development team focuses on producing effective and accessible technology solutions. Their duties touch all areas of the campus such as: gathering business requirements, preparing and providing critical institutional data, supporting systems and applications through the full software development life-cycle (vetting, analysis, design, documentation, troubleshooting and support).
Academic Technology Services offers a variety of assessment tools and services to support faculty in the classroom. Many tools are available to faculty on a complimentary basis from CSULB's Software Depot.
Faculty are encouraged to consult with ATS staff for assistance with the design, implementation, or management of assessment projects related to the following projects:
- Qualtrics Survey Development
- Respondus Exam and Quiz Developer
- Parscore and Scantron Scoring Systems
- Statistical Analysis
- Student Perceptions of Teaching (SPOT)