Maria Claver, Ph.D., MSW, CPG is the Director of the Gerontology Program, which entails teaching Masters-level courses and advising students in the Masters, Certificate and Minor programs. She received her bachelor’s degree in psychology (1997), Masters Degree (2001) and Ph.D. (2006) in Social Welfare with a specialization in older adults from UCLA. After teaching as a lecturer for the UCLA Aging Cluster Program for two years, she joined the faculty of the Gerontology Program at CSULB in 2007. Her past research focused on the nation’s 142 VA Home-Based Primary Care programs (HBPC) that serve more than 37,000 homebound veterans. Claver’s work helped home health agencies to better serve patients that may be at heightened risk during disasters by providing them with tools that improve the preparedness of these vulnerable individuals. Her current research focuses on the Age-Friendly University, which CSULB became in 2018. Dr. Claver serves as Secretary for the California Council on Gerontology and Geriatrics (CCGG) and received CCGG’s Betty and James Birren Emerging Leader Award in 2011 for her strong record in teaching, research, and service. She is currently Vice President of CSULB’s Rho Chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa national honor society since 2013 and serves on the Governing Board of a local hospital.
Areas of Interest
- Age-Friendly Universities
- Experiential Learning/Service Learning
- Aging Veterans
- Emergency Preparedness
- Wyte-Lake, T., Der Martirosian, C., Claver, M., Davis, D., & Dobalian, A. (in press). The Need for Evidence-Based Tools and Checklists to Support Healthcare Practitioner Education of Patients about their Emergency Preparedness. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness
- Wyte-Lake, T., Claver, M., Tubbesing, S., Davis, D., & Dobalian, A. (in press). Development of a Home Health Patient Assessment Tool for Disaster Planning. Gerontology.
- Dobalian, A., Claver, M., Riopelle, D., Wyte-Lake, T., & Canelo, I. (2017). The Development of a Veterans Health Administration Emergency Management Research Agenda. PLOS Currents Disasters.
- Claver, M. & Goeller, C. (2017). Exploring cultural death practices through group presentations. In H. Baker, T. M. Kruger, & R. Karasik (Eds.). Teaching Courses on Aging: Experiential Learning Activities to Engage Students. Springer Publishing Company.
- Claver, M., Goeller, C., & Ionescu, E. (2017). Service learning fair. In H. Baker, T. M. Kruger, & R. Karasik (Eds.). Teaching Courses on Aging: Experiential Learning Activities to Engage Students. Springer Publishing Company.
- Wyte-Lake, T., Claver, M., Der-Martirosian, C. & Dobalian, A. (2016). Developing a home-based primary care disaster preparedness toolkit. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/dmp.2016.145. Published online: 14 November 2016, pp. 1-8.
- Claver, M., Wyte-Lake, T., & Dobalian, A. (2015). Assessing Patient Disaster Preparedness in Home Based Primary Care. Gerontology, DOI: 10.1159/000439168.
- Claver, M., Wyte-Lake, T., & Dobalian, A. (2015). Disaster Preparedness in Home-Based Primary Care: Policy and Training. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 30(4), 1-7.
- Wyte-Lake, T., Claver, M., & Dalton, S. (2015). Patient assessment and education in home health: A Literature Review. Home Healthcare Management & Practice. DOI: 10.1177/1084822314567536.
- Claver, M., Lares, L., & Gelgur, L. (2015). Student reflections on service learning: Cognitive, affective and behavioral lessons. Journal of Community Engagement and Higher Education, 7(2).
- Wyte, T., Claver, M., Griffin, A., & Dobalian, A. (2014). The role of the home-based provider in disaster preparedness of a vulnerable population. Gerontology, DOI: 10.1159/000355660.
Courses Taught on Aging
- GERN 400: Perspectives on Aging
- GERN 430/530: Aging & Dementia
- GERN 440/540: End-of-Life Issues
- GERN 550: Social Policy & Aging
- GERN 474/574: Global Aging
- GERN 482/582: Health Assessment & the Aging Client
- GERN 500: Introduction to the Professional Practice of Gerontology
- FCS 490/590: Women & Aging: Lessons from the Golden Girls