Often referred to as a "transparent whiteboard," or "light board," The Learning Glass is a panel of heavy-duty glass set in an upright frame and illuminated with LED lights around the perimeter of the glass.
Recording & Live Streaming Lectures
To record a lecture, instructors stand behind the glass panel in a darkened room and write on the glass with neon markers. Light from the LEDs is captured and released though the glass bringing the writing to life. This set up allow the instructor to face the camera (rather than turning away from the audience as done at a traditional chalk/whiteboard), making the lecture a dynamic and engaging experience for the students.
The recorded lectures are "flipped" so that the writing/diagramming flows in the proper direction for the viewer. This is especially useful in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or any course where "live" demonstrations of equation-solving and diagramming of processes is common.
Learning Glass Options for CSULB Instructors
ATS currently offers two Learning Glass options for CSULB instructors:
Mobile Learning Glass
This system is a smaller, portable version of our ATS Studio system and is available for personal use in your home or office to record lectures for CSULB courses.
The Mobile Learning Glass kit includes:
- 33” Learning Glass with built in lighting
- 9.7" iPad with charger and protective sleeve
- Tripod and attachable iPad mount
- Wireless lavaliere microphone system
- Markers with cleaning cloths + squeegee
- Black fabric for background with Command hooks
- For reservations and assistance, email ATS-CSS@csulb.edu.
- Pick up The Learning Glass in person at AS-120 at your scheduled pickup time.
- A User Guide will be included in the Learning Glass system kit with set up and recording instructions.
Guides and Instructions
- Mobile Learning Glass System Set Up Guide [PDF]
- iPad Video Editing and Uploading to BeachBoard [PDF]
See what's included in the Mobile Learning Glass system kit.
Setting Up the Mobile Learning Glass
Learn how to set up the Mobile Learning Glass system in your home or office.
ATS Studio Learning Glass
This system is available for use by reservation in our campus recording studio.
(Please note: during the campus closure due to COVID-19, this service has been temporarily suspended).
Best Practices for Recording Lectures
When using the Learning Glass for the first time, allow yourself time to get acquainted with the technology and make some practice recordings. Here are a few tips:
- Write your script in advance; consider presenting one topic per board.
- Consider splitting up the content into shorter recordings if your presentation is longer than 8 minutes.
- Rehearse on your own before your recording session.
- Plan ways to efficiently use the space on the Learning Glass.
- Formulate visual aids ahead of time.
- Wear dark, solid color clothing with no logos or text for best visibility.
- Darken the room as much as possible.
- Speak clearly and enthusiastically.
- Use notes in your recording session. You may also use a computer while using the Learning Glass if desired.
- Start writing from the right or left side; don’t start writing in the center of the Learning Glass.
- Avoid writing directly in front of your face.
- Once the Learning Glass is filled with notes, stop recording, erase the board, and restart the recording.
- Don't worry about making mistakes or having a perfect recording; foibles or inconsequential mistakes are humanizing. Rehearse before the recording to reduce errors.