Respondus is an application that lets instructors create and manage exams and surveys that can be printed to paper or published directly to BeachBoard. Instructors create exams and assessments offline using an interface and then publish the exams or surveys directly to a BeachBoard course. In addition, over 2,000 publisher test banks are available to instructors who use Respondus.
- Respondus LockDown Browser is a companion tool that restricts students from accessing other web browsers when taking an online exam through BeachBoard.
- Respondus Monitor builds on the Lockdown Browser tool by using a webcam and algorithms to detect suspicious activity.
Using Respondus to Create Exams
Downloading and Installing Respondus for Windows PCs
Note: Respondus is not compatible with Apple operating systems.
Respondus' installer file and license code can be found on Academic Technology Services' website and is available at no charge to currently assigned CSULB instructors and staff:
- Access the Software Depot with your MyCSULB campus ID and password.
- Click on Product Search and type Repondus in the white box.
- Follow instructions so that you can access the software.
- Download the software and license key.
- Close your web browser.
- Double-click on the Respondus35Campus.exe file to install Respondus to your computer. Follow the on-screen prompts. The Institution Name, Local Support Contact(s), and Installation Password can be found in the General_Respondus_License_Key_Info.doc file.
Once you have downloaded, installed, and registered Respondus, view the demo movies and manuals linked below for instructions on how to use Respondus and how to publish your Respondus assessments to BeachBoard.
Manuals and Guides
Respondus Quick Start Guide (Easy-to-understand reference for the Respondus beginner)
- Installation (see above)
- The Start Menu
- Download a Publisher-Partner Test Bank
- Importing Questions from Other Formats
- Using the Exam Wizard
- Review of the Edit Menu
- Using the Edit Menu
- The Edit Toolbar
- The Settings Menu
- The Publish Menu
- Using the Publish Wizard
- Printing an Exam
- Retrieving an Exam from BeachBoard (see above)
- Other Training and Support Resources
First-time BeachBoard Server and Course Setup
- Go to BeachBoard and log in.
- Enter a course that you are teaching and copy the URL address.
- In Respondus, make sure you have selected Desire2Learn as your current personality.
- Click Open if you have previously created quizzes in Respondus, or click Create to create a new quiz and give it a name and description.
- Click the Preview and Publish tab.
- Select the section labeled Publish from the menu on the left and then click the Publish Wizard button.
- Next to Desire2Learn Server, select Add New Server from the drop-down menu.
- Paste the URL address in step 2.
- Click Extract. Respondus will automatically fill in the fields in Step 3.
- In step 4
- Enter a Description for your settings, so you may easily refer to it later (example: d2l csulb).
- Enter your campus ID and BeachBoard password under login information. You may save this information on your computer so you don’t have to enter it every time you use Respondus, by selecting the checkbox.
- Click OK.
The new Desire2Learn server has now been added to your Respondus.
Retrieving an Exam from BeachBoard
Respondus will "retrieve" an exam from BeachBoard, which then allows the file to be edited, published to another online course, or printed using Respondus. (Printing straight from BeachBoard yields an unattractive format.)
- Click the Retrieval tab.
- Click the Retrieve Questions button.
- Choose the Desire2Learn (BeachBoard) server from the drop-down menu and then click Next.
- If you elected not to store your login information, type your Campus ID and BeachBoard password into the prompt and click OK.
- The Retrieve Questions Wizard window will appear
- Choose a course to retrieve from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the specific quiz, survey, self-assessment, or question library section.
- Enter a new name for the Respondus file you are creating.
- Click Next.
- The status window will update after each step in the retrieving process. When it says, “Completed successfully,” click Finish.
- Click the Edit tab to edit the questions of the retrieved quiz.