CSULB is working with K16 Solutions to migrate BeachBoard courses into Canvas.
- The last 2 years of BeachBoard courses will be copied in bulk by the semester in which they were taught (see Transition Timeline below).
- Each copied course can be accessed on your Canvas Dashboard and will be labeled with the course/semester data.
- Existing "Academically-Related" BeachBoard Organizations must be copied to Canvas manually by ATS. Please complete the Manual Organization Request Form.
- Migrated courses do not contain student data, such as enrollment information, grades, submitted assignments, and quizzes, etc. Student data from the last five years will be held separately in an archive and available upon request from ATS. Visit Course Types, Archived BeachBoard Courses for more information.
BeachBoard courses taught before Summer 2021 will not be migrated to Canvas.
As of January 11, 2023, the following semesters of BeachBoard courses have been migrated or are in queue to be migrated to Canvas:
- Summer 2021: Completed
- Fall 2021: Completed
- Winter 2022: Completed
- Spring 2022: Completed
- CPaCE: Completed
- Summer 2022: Completed
- Fall 2022: In Queue
Please note: Winter and Spring 2023 will be migrated after the end of each respective term. For any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Migrated BeachBoard courses are not copied into "live Canvas courses." They will each appear as separate course "tiles" in your Canvas Dashboard labeled with the semester in which they were taught.
Live courses are empty course "shells" released through the CSULB enrollment system populated with your enrolled students for the next term. When preparing to teach in Canvas, instructors must develop content in their live courses.
- Use our Course Migration Job Aid [PDF] for instructions to copy your migrated BeachBoard course content into the Canvas Live course in which you will be teaching.
- The Course Import tool can also assist you in copying content from your migrated BeachBoard course.
- Use the Quality Assurance Checklist [PDF] to ensure that your course meets established quality assurance guidelines.
Use our Migrate Your Own BeachBoard Courses to Canvas Job Aid [PDF] for instructions to copy your BeachBoard course content into the Canvas Live course in which you will be teaching.
Make sure your courses meet established quality assurance guidelines with this Quality Assurance Checklist [PDF].
- Courses are taught on Canvas by a small group of faculty participating in a pilot program.
- Live Fall courses are released in Canvas and BeachBoard to all faculty. Faculty may prepare to teach in Canvas in Fall 2022 if desired.
- Migration of Winter 2022 BeachBoard courses to Canvas completed.
- Migration of Fall 2021 BeachBoard courses to Canvas in progress.
- Faculty may teach in Canvas and/or BeachBoard on their own or partner with ATS in the Fall Pilot Program.
- In late Fall 2022, Spring 2023 live courses are released in Canvas and BeachBoard to all faculty.
- Migration of Spring 2022 BeachBoard courses to Canvas begins.
- Migration of all CPaCE BeachBoard courses begins.
- Faculty may choose to prepare to teach in BeachBoard and/or Canvas for the Spring 2023 term.
- Fall 2022 BeachBoard courses will migrate to Canvas shortly after the Fall 2022 semester ends.
IMPORTANT: Spring 2023 is the final semester of BeachBoard availability.
- Winter 2023 BeachBoard courses will begin migration to Canvas.
- Faculty teach in Canvas and/or BeachBoard.
- In late Spring 2023, Summer 2023 courses are released on Canvas only.
- Faculty will teach only on Canvas in Summer 2023.
- Spring 2023 BeachBoard courses will be migrated to Canvas shortly after the term ends.
- In early Summer, Fall 2023 courses will be released on Canvas only.
- Migration to Canvas of all BeachBoard courses from the past 2 years will be completed.
- All courses are taught in Canvas. Beachboard will no longer be available.