In addition to supporting classroom instruction, BeachBoard can be used to create a centralized place for department staff and faculty to connect as community, much like an "intranet" site. These are referred to as "BeachBoard Organizations" and are not limited by semester- and will remain open indefinitely.
Organizations are similar in layout to a BeachBoard course, but can be designed based off goals and vision for use by the department or college.
For assistance, contact ATS-Instructionaldesign@csulb.edu to set up an appointment.
Designating Organization Leader(s)
Academically-related organizations will be sponsored by a dean, department chair, director or instructor member, who assumes responsibility for the organization’s site including its content and activities. There will be no delegation of this responsibility to a student representative.
Procedure for Requesting Academically-related Organizations
- Use the "Manage BeachBoard Academically-Related Organization Request" form to create and revise the academically-related organization. The application must be complete, or else it will not be considered.
- Upon verification and approval by BeachBoard Services, the organization will be made available to the designated leader.
BeachBoard Organization General Guidelines
- Membership in any BeachBoard organization is only open to CSULB students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other users already present in the MyCSULB Online system.
- Limited guest accounts are available and must be requested via the Extranet Request form.
- Managing the BeachBoard organization enrollment is the responsibility of the leaders of the organization. However, BeachBoard Services will assist with bulk enrollments via an electronically generated list of campus IDs in Microsoft Excel format. The file should be emailed to email@example.com with a 3-5 day lead time.
- Each BeachBoard organization will be sponsored by a dean, department chair, director or instructor member, who assumes responsibility for the organization’s site including its content and activities. There will be no delegation of this responsibility to a student representative.
- Each BeachBoard organization will be unavailable until a leader is identified. Students are blocked from sending email.
- All BeachBoard organizations are subject to the university policies and any violation may result in the removal of the BeachBoard organization and possible account suspension of those involved, see Student Regulations and policies for more information.
BeachBoard Organization Leader Responsibilities
- Organizational leaders are responsible for maintaining and monitoring their organizations.
- Note: Anti-spam filters or incorrect email addresses could keep email from reaching users. As an alternative, consider using the Discussion Board or Announcements tool to contact organization members.
- Email messages sent to large sets of organization participants could take up to a week for delivery.
A violation of university policies by a student and employee, including faculty, in a BeachBoard organization shall result in disciplinary action according to the CSULB Campus Computing Policy.
Examples of these policies are the following:
- User access to computing resources is contingent upon prudent and responsible use.
- You may not use computing resources for any illegal or proscribed act.
- You may not use computing resources for any commercial purpose without prior written authorization from the appropriate Vice President.
- You may not use any computing resource in a way that is harassing [spamming] or threatening to another individual.