Graduate Research Assistant for PhD in Engineering
Job Title: Graduate Research Assistant for PhD in Engineering
Department of Civil Engineering & Construction Engineering Management
California State University, Long Beach
Location: Long Beach, California
Hours: 20 hours per week
Opening Date: May 18, 2023
Closing Date: June 08, 2023
Supervisor: Dr. Amr M. Morsy
Job Purpose: You will be responsible for numerical modeling of long-term performance of a range of geotechnical infrastructure assets.
Job Duties: You will be responsible for the following:
- Work effectively with a diverse research team.
- Conduct soil characterization tests.
- Develop and run numerical models to simulate the long-term deterioration mechanisms in geotechnical infrastructure assets.
- Develop deterioration models to forecast the service life of infrastructure.
- Write scientific reports.
Person Specifications: The essential criteria in the following list must be met.
- [Essential] Exceptionally motivated.
- [Essential] Exceptionally organized.
- [Essential] Obtained (or expected to obtain) a Master’s degree in civil engineering or closely related field.
- [Essential] Strong background in geotechnical engineering.
- [Essential] Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- [Essential] Willingness to undertake appropriate further training and to adopt new procedures as and when required.
- [Desirable] Knowledge of numerical modeling in civil engineering.
- [Desirable] Knowledge of programming.
Compensation: This assistantship will cover your tuition fees and pay a monthly stipend at the university rates and as commensurate with the person’s qualifications. The funding is available for 1 year starting June 1st, 2023, with potential extension based on funding availability and satisfactory performance.
How to Apply: Your application package should include the following:
- A letter of interest (not to exceed 2 pages) communicating your interest in the research topic and the alignment of this opportunity with your career aspirations and goals. The letter should also address how you meet the person specifications.
- A copy of your non-official transcript.
- A detailed CV (no page limit).
- Three letters of recommendations.
Send your application as a single PDF file via email to Dr. Amr Morsy at firstname.lastname@example.org