CSULB welcomes applications from individuals who are seeking an advanced degree. If you are interested in applying to CSULB to pursue a master's or doctoral degree, please review the steps below to ensure your application experience is a positive one.
Explore Our Graduate Programs
CSULB offers a variety of master's degree and doctoral degree programs. Visit the Graduate Studies website for a complete listing of available programs and links to their websites. In addition to the university application, programs may have supplementary application requirements. Please review the program’s requirements before you begin the application process.
Verify the Application Deadline
The application period for Spring admission begins on August 1, and the application period for Fall admission begins on October 1. Not all graduate programs are open for admission each spring or fall term, and application deadlines vary by program. Visit the Graduate Studies website for a complete list of available programs, admission terms, and application deadlines.
Submit the University Application Online
When you are ready to apply, visit Cal State Apply - Graduate to submit the university admission application and pay the $55 nonrefundable application fee online by the application deadline for your program. Be aware that the CSU does not offer application fee waivers for graduate applicants. CSULB graduates or candidates must reapply to the university under the same conditions and deadlines as all other applicants. The CSULB Admissions Office will send you a notification by email to acknowledge receipt of your university application.
Submit Official Transcripts
Please submit one set of official transcripts from each college or university you have attended. Only one set of official transcripts is required, and they must be submitted to Enrollment Services. Transcripts from U.S. colleges and universities may be submitted electronically to ES-IDPTrans@csulb.edu. Official transcripts may also be sent in a sealed envelope to the address below:
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840
VERIFY THE PROGRAM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the University application, most programs require supplemental applications or information. You must check with the program for specific information on these requirements. You can use the Graduate Studies site to link to the program websites.
Check Your Application Status
The CSULB Admissions Office will review your application and transcripts to verify your eligibility based on the minimum University admission requirements. If you meet these minimum requirements, your application will be forwarded to your academic program for review. You will receive notification of your admission status after the department has made their decision.
CSULB uses email as the official means of communication, so applicants are required to maintain a current email address on file with the university and check their email regularly. You may update your email address or check the status of your admission application by visiting the Applicant Self-Service webpage.
Satisfy the Terms of Your Admission Offer
What is Provisional Admission?
Graduate applicants may be offered admission on a provisional basis if certain requirements (such as the baccalaureate degree) are in progress at the time of admission. These requirements must be completed prior to enrollment in the program, and failure to meet these requirements will result in the rescission of the admission offer.
What is a student standing of “Conditionally Classified”?
Graduate applicants who have deficiencies in prerequisite preparation for their program may be admitted with a standing of “Conditionally Classified” if deemed appropriate by the program’s faculty. This standing means that continued enrollment in the program is contingent upon meeting additional requirements specified by the academic department. The program advisor will communicate the conditions of admission to newly admitted students.
How will I know if I have met all of the Conditions of Admission?
- Provisional Admits:
- A final official transcript showing the conferral date for the baccalaureate degree must be submitted no later than September 1 (for students admitted for Fall) and February 1 (for students admitted for Spring).
- After receipt of the final transcript, the admission decision will be audited to ensure all requirements have been met. If the requirements have not been met, the student will receive notification that the offer of admission has been rescinded.
- Students will be allowed to enroll for classes prior to receipt of the final transcript; however, if proof of degree completion is not received by the deadline, classes will be administratively dropped.
- “Conditionally Classified” Student Standing:
- At the end of the term, departments will monitor the progress of students in “Conditionally Classified” standing.
- Upon successful completion of the specified prerequisites, the student standing will be changed to “Classified”.
- Students will be allowed to enroll for classes; however, if the required preparation is not completed within the timeframe established by the department, the student may be immediately dismissed from the program.