LEGAL RESEARCH TOOLs including those available at CSULB LIBRARY
CSULB Check Databases that include Westlaw and other legal sources. Available only to authorized CSULB users (currently employed CSULB faculty or staff members or a currently enrolled students).
Below are links to California Secretary of State and Delaware Secretary of State. Please check with respective Secretary of State and local state laws as to where you want to start your business. See also Frequently Asked Questions/Business.
Know Your Rights
American Civil Liberties Union ACLU working for Your Rights - Criminal Reform, Disability, Free Speech, HIV, Immigration, Juvenile Rights, LGBT Rights, National Security, Prisoners' Rights, Privacy & Technology, Religious Liberty, Reproductive Freedom, Voting Rights, and Women Rights. Information is not legal advice. Hard copies can be obtained at CBA Legal Information Clinic.
LGBT (name change and gender marker)
The Los Angeles LGBT Center is the nation’s largest community-based provider of LGBT-related legal services, supported by a team of staff and volunteer attorneys, law students, paralegals, and interns.
Bet Tzedek Legal Services LGBT legal support
Department of Fair Employment and Housing, telephone -800.884.1684 (voice) Deaf: hard of hearing: 800.700.2320 (TTY).
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: 800.669.4000
1.800.669.6820 (TTY for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)
1.844.234.5122 (ASL Video Phone for Deaf/Hard of Hearing callers only)
Small Claims Advisor Numbers and Web Referrals
Small claims court is a special court in California where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. The rules are simple and informal. The person who sues is called the plaintiff. The person who is sued is called the defendant. You are not allowed to have a lawyer represent you at the hearing in small claims court. But you can talk to a lawyer before or after court.
You can sue in small claims court if you are:
- At least 18 years old, OR
- An emancipated child.
If you are not mentally competent, or you are under 18 years old (and not emancipated), a judge must appoint a "guardian ad litem" to represent you in small claims court. A guardian ad litem is an adult appointed by the court to represent you ONLY in the case in question.
There are monetary limits to suing in this court which can be explained by contacting a Small Claims Advisor or going to the court’s website.
Find California Small Claim phone numbers and web resources California Small Claims
California State Agencies and Departments
- Attorney General, Information about privacy and other legal topics including opinions.
- California Contractors License Board, 800.321.2752, License and Publication Requests.
- Secretary of State, Business Program, 916.653.6814, Business Entities, Notary Public and Authentications, Uniform Commercial Code, Authentications: Apostille or Certification,Special Filings,Trademarks & Service Marks, Victims of Corporate Fraud Compensation Fund.
- Department of Business Oversight, 866.275.2677, Investment Advisors and Financial Planners' License Checks.
- Department of Fair Employment and Housing, telephone -800.884.1684 (voice) Deaf: hard of hearing: 800.700.2320 (TTY).
- Department of Consumer Affairs, 800.952.5210, Public Inquiries, Consumer Complaints, License Checks.
- Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Workers' Compensation, Information relating to worker's compensation requirements.
- Department of Insurance, Information relating to requirements for insurance companies, agents and brokers.
- Employment Development Department, Information relating to unemployment insurance, disability insurance and employment tax
- Franchise Tax Board, Information relating to franchise tax requirements, penalties and suspensions/forfeitures.
- Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz), . Assistance in finding the appropriate permitting information for business, the CalGOLD database provides links and contact information to agencies that administer and issue business permits, licenses and registration requirements from all levels of government.
- Secretary of State, Business Program, 916.653.6814, Business Entities, Notary Public and Authentications, Uniform Commercial Code, Authentications: Apostille or Certification, Special Filings, Trademarks & Service Marks, Victims of Corporate Fraud Compensation Fund.
- State Bar of California, Information relating to registration of law corporations and limited liability partnerships. Website also provides links to licensed attorneys and county bar associations that have lawyer referral services.
- State of Equalization, Information relating to sales or use tax liability, special taxes and fees, property tax administration, and franchise and income tax appeals.
- Tax Service Center, Provider tax assistance, including information about income tax, payroll tax, sales & use tax, and other taxes and fees for businesses.
Intellectual Property - Copyrights, Trademarks, Trade Secrets, Patents
Inventors and small businesses that meet certain financial thresholds and other criteria may be eligible for free legal assistance in preparing and filing a patent application. The Patent Pro Bono Program is a nationwide network of independently operated regional programs that match volunteer patent.
Pro Se Assistance Program | USPTO
The Pro Se Assistance Program is the United States Patent and Trademark Office's comprehensive pilot to expand outreach to inventors who file patent applications without the assistance of a registered patent attorney or agent (also known as "pro se" filing).
The Law School Clinic Certification program allows law students enrolled in a participating law school's clinic program to practice Intellectual Property Law before the USPTO under the strict guidance of a Law School Faculty Clinic Supervisor.
REAL PROPERTY INCLUDING CONTRACTOR ISSUES/LANDLORD AND TENANT
Campus Sexual Harassment/Misconduct including Title IX Information
The California State University, which includes Cal State Long Beach (CSULB), does not discriminate on the basis of gender, which includes sex and gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation in its education programs or activities. Title IX and certain other federal and state laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of gender or sexual orientation in employment, as well as in all education programs and activities operated by its universities (both on and off-campus). The protection against discrimination on the basis of gender or sexual orientation includes sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and gender-based dating and domestic violence and stalking.
CSULB Information and Reporting
All links and reporting tools and contacts are provided: CSULB Campus Sexual Harassment/Misconduct under Title IX
CSULB Police Call or Text* 911 for Police, Fire, or Medical Emergencies.
The University Police non-emergency/business line is 562.985.4101. Dial extension 5-4101 from any campus telephone.
Information can be reported anonymously to our Crime Tip Line at 562.986.5131.
*Text-to-911 is also available on campus and throughout Los Angeles and Orange Counties. Enter "911" in the "To" field to send a text message directly to UPD Dispatch. In situations where you feel you cannot safely make a phone call, text your location and the details of your emergency.
Los Angeles County District Attorney, See also, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Bureau of Victim Services 1-800-380-3811
Native American Legal Resources
Native American Legal Sources
- The Native American Rights Fund
- Research Resources from the National Indian Law Library
- Native American Rights Fund Legal Review
- National Indian Child Welfare Association
- StrongHearts Native Helpline
- Tribal Court Clearinghouse, a project of The Tribal Law and Policy Institute
California State University – Long Beach
- Statewide Directory of Services for Native American Families
- California Indian Legal Services
- UCLA Nations Law and Policy Center
- UCI Native American Law Students Association
- Divorce Overview
- Family Law Division – Los Angeles
- I Need to File for Divorce, Legal Separation, or Annulment of Marriage: Site provides free workshops and instructions on filling out forms.
- Divorce and Separation
- Forms – Filing for Divorce or Separation
- FAQ Common Questions and Answers about Divorce and Separation