The Department of Finance offers courses in the undergraduate program (BS Finance), graduate program (MS Finance), and MBA programs. The BS in Finance (BSF) degree offers concentrations in financial management and investments along with other electives. The MS in Finance (MSF) degree is designed for students and professionals who want to advance their careers in Finance and prepare for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification concurrently. The department also provides its majors an opportunity to participate in its Beach Investment Group (BIG), an academic year honors-type program, in which students manage a real-dollar investment portfolio. Our devoted and talented faculty have a wide range of expertise and are published in peer-reviewed journals in the fields of corporate finance, investments, financial institutions, and international finance. More than 800 students major in finance.
Given the current economic situation, it’s not surprising that financial executives say they’re more focused than ever on planning and cost cutting. Finance is part of an organization that manages its money. The business functions of the finance in department in a firm will typically include planning, organizing, auditing, accounting for and controlling its company's finances.
Finance Option: All Courses: Lower and Upper Divsion
Finance Consists of three interrelated areas:
- Financial Management: which involves the actual financial management of a firm as well as the theory of finance applicable to all other areas of finance;
- Investments: which focuses on the decision of investors as they choose investment securities and manage their investment portfolios;
- Money & Capital Markets: which deals with security markets and financial institutions
The Finance and Investment courses cover the following subjects:
- Business Finance - Financial Management &Capital Budgeting
- Capital Markets/Securities Markets
- International Finance
- Personal Finance
Financial Management is important in all types of businesses; financial institutions, utilities, and industrial and retail firms. It is also important in governmental operations. Finance majors select careers with financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies, investment companies, savings and loans, and credit unions. Many finance majors also work at utilities and industrial and retail companies as financial officers. Finance graduates who enter into investments generally work for investment banking firms, mutual funds, or insurance companies in areas such as portfolio management, security analysis, pension fund investment or stock brokerage.
A COB Finance minor that employers value and will help you the rest of your financial life: Employers are looking for graduates who can immediately add value and speak about finance. Understanding finance allows your skills to promote your career and perform financal activity with undertanding more advanced than from other graduates. Moreover, the program will allow you to take charge of your own financial future.
Aligned with the Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA) curriculum, the MSF program will engage students in analyzing financial issues that are of interest to global corporations, financial institutions, and international investors and equip the students with the knowledge needed for CFA certification. The purpose of the MSF program is to graduate students who are proficient in examining current financial issues, exploring feasible financial strategies, and applying relevant financial knowledge and analytical models that can help corporations, financial institutions, and investors achieve optimal outcomes and solutions from a global perspective.
The Finance Masters Program is now available to current undergrad CSULB students seeking a career in finance. With this new program, CSU Long Beach students now have the fastest possible path to obtaining a CFA, while earning both BSBF and MSF degrees in five years or less (three years for incoming transfer students).
According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for finance professionals is expected to grow by 8 to 12 percent through 2024. Jobs for financial analysts, loan officers, and accountants are expected to increase by over 200,000. Median salaries can range from $65,800 for a compliance officer to $121,750 for a financial manager. Earning an online bachelor’s degree in finance can give you a solid knowledge base in areas like economics, accounting, financial analysis, investments, and risk assessment.
- Financial Planner. Finance majors learn about a variety of investment vehicles, and this knowledge can help financial planners to advise clients about how to manage their finances. ...
- Financial Analyst. ...
- Investor Relations Associate. ...
- Budget Analyst. ...
- Actuary. ...
- Accountant. ...
- Credit Analyst. ...
The CBA Open Access Lab went under a major renovation over the summer of 2018. The funding was made possible with the Student Excellence Fee (SEF) .
- BLOOMBERG TERMINALS: CBA was able to fund a total of 12 Bloomberg Terminals used for financial research, 10 of the terminals will be available to all students in the Open Access Computer Lab, and two terminals will be available for CBA faculty to enhance the Bloomberg learning experience in classrooms.
- COLLABORATIVE GROUP STATIONS: The number of group station cubicles will increase from five to 15 to accommodate higher demands of collaborative projects.
- LIVE NEWS: The lab features three large TVs that display current events, and financial news that help students be more informed and stay up to date on variety of topics.
The COB Finance Advisory Board is a valuable resource of feedback, professional insight, talent and support. While the board provides counsel to the Director on issues affecting the school, curricula, programs and employment opportunities of our students, it also engages in and supports the fundraising efforts of the School. The Advisory Board provides key contacts for faculty to inform their research and teaching, and provides input to the Director on the strategic direction and monitors the progress of the College Department. The board provides key contacts for faculty to inform their research and teaching, and provides input to the faculty through the Director on the strategic direction and progress of the program.
Contact the current Finance Department Chair for your opportunity to be a leader on our Finance Advisory Board. The College of Business at CSULB can use your expertise and make a strong future for our Finance Students.