You are here

Changing Your Gender

Published November 10, 2021

The California Court system offers a step-by-step process for Californians looking to change their gender. 

Individuals born within California do not need a court-issued recognition of gender change to amend a California driver’s license, birth certificate, social security card, or U.S. passport. However, if you were born outside of California, you may need a court-ordered recognition of gender and additional documentation, depending on your state. To initiate a court order recognition of gender change, you can file NC-300, Petition for Recognition of Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth CertificateCM-010, Civil Case Cover Sheet, and NC-330, Order for Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate. These forms differ based on whether an applicant wants to change their name simultaneously. Applicants must fill out form NC-200, Petition for Change of Name, Recognition of Change of Gender, and Issuance of New Birth Certificate, and NC-110, Attachment to Petition for Change of Name for a court-ordered name and gender change. Similarly, CM-010 must be completed along with NC-125/NC 225, Order to Show Cause for Change of Name to Conform to Gender Identity, and NC-230, Decree Changing Name and Order Recognizing Change of Gender and for Issuance of New Birth Certificate. Regional courts may request local forms with the submission of state forms. You can refer to your local’s court website or talk to its respective court clerk for more information. After making a copy of all completed forms, applicants can file them with the court clerk in the superior court within the county. There is a filing fee of $435, but a fee waiver is available for applicants that need it. After filing, the court will issue an order that gives any person who objects to file an objection twenty-eight days from the date of the order. If there is no objection, then the court will grant the order after the twenty-eight-day period. In the case that there is an objection, a hearing will be set. Applicants will bring form NC-330 for a gender change or NC-230 for an additional name change that the judge will sign if he approves of the respective requests. After receiving the court order, California-born applicants can bring it to the State Registrar with a filing fee to have the changes reflected in their birth certificate

For more detailed information, the California Court system provides a step-by-step overview on changing your gender and name simultaneously. All gender and name change forms can be found and filled out online with LawHelp. To learn more about your state’s guidelines for changing gender markers or changing birth certificates, check out the Transgender Law Center for support and resources.