This program will introduce faculty to Canvas, the new campus learning management system. In this program, ATS will offer resource materials, training workshops, and the opportunity to work closely with our Instructional Design team to facilitate the transition to Canvas. As early adopters, we encourage participants to become campus ambassadors and help direct colleagues to ATS and Canvas support channels as part of the broader campus adoption. Upon completion of the program requirements, participants will be awarded an additional employment amount of $525.
Registration is now closed for Session 1.
- Start date: June 6, 2022
- End date: July 10, 2022
- Orientation Meeting: June 6, 10am
Session 2 Program: Deadline June 24
- Start date: July 11, 2022
- End date: August 14, 2022
- Orientation Meeting: July 11, 10am
Space is limited in this program. ATS will review and select applicants to ensure representation of faculty from all CSULB colleges. Preference will be given to faculty who are planning to teach with Canvas in the Fall 2022 semester and are new to the Canvas platform.
- Session 1 Application Form (June 6-July10) Registration is now closed for Session 1.
- Session 2 Application Form (July 11-August 14) Deadline: June 24
All faculty are welcome to apply.
Program participants who fall under one of the following categories may not qualify for the additional employment (you are still able to participate in the program fully and work closely with the Instructional Design team):
- Individuals who have completed the Spring 2022 Canvas Essentials Program.
- College of Professional and Continuing Education (formally known as CPIE) Instructors for Self-Supported (Non-Academic) programs or courses.
- Academic Advisors, Teaching Assistants, Student Assistants, CSULB Staff, and Students.
If you have any questions about your eligibility for the additional employment, contact your College/Department’s Administrative Services Manager (ASM).
Details and instructions for accessing these components will be provided to participants when the program begins:
- Build 2 modules inside your Canvas course.
- Meet and complete the requirements found in the “Canvas Essentials Program Checklist.”
- Attend 1 workshop provided by ATS or through the Canvas Training Portal [Access Instructions PDF].
- Attend a Canvas Feedback Forum Friday open discussion session offered by ATS.
- Complete the end-of-program Canvas evaluation.
- Work with our ATS multimedia team to create a short testimonial sharing your Canvas experience to help support Canvas adoption and share amongst the CSULB Community.
- ATS may reach out to participants regarding newly integrated tools, features, and support resources for feedback, suggestions, and recommendations.
Work with the Instructional Design and LMS Support Team in one of the following capacities:
- Visit our Live Virtual Support Zoom room and meet with an instructional designer.
- Schedule a 1:1 appointment/consultation with an instructional designer.
Is the orientation mandatory for this program?
It is not mandatory but strongly encouraged to attend.
If I plan to teach with Canvas in Fall 2022, do I have to be enrolled in this program?
If you are teaching with Canvas in Fall 2022, you are not required to enroll or complete this program.
If I complete this incentive program and I am interested in being part of the Fall 2022 pilot program, am I eligible?
Yes, if you complete this incentive program, you are eligible to participate in the Fall 2022 pilot program. However, it is not mandatory. The Fall 2022 pilot program is open to the campus
Since space is limited, how will I know if I can participate in this program?
All applicants will receive an email from ATS by June 1 along with information on our program orientation. This includes those who have been accepted and denied due to limited space.
What is the deadline for the Canvas Essentials program requirements?
Deliverables for Session 1 will need to be met by Sunday, July 10 by 11:59PM and deliverables for Session 2 will need to be met by Sunday, August 14 by 11:59 PM.
For the workshop requirement, are we required to attend a Canvas-related workshop? Or could it be something else such as using MS Teams in teaching?
For this program, it will need to be a Canvas-related workshop.
If I need assistance building my course in Canvas, who can I contact?
ATS instructional designers will be able to help you build and become familiar with Canvas so that you feel comfortable teaching in Canvas before your course is launched. Send an email to Canvas@csulb.edu or ATS-InstructionalDesign@csulb.edu to request a consultation with an instructional designer.
What is a sandbox and what is the purpose of using a sandbox for this program?
A sandbox course is an empty Canvas course that will serve as your space to experiment with Canvas as you work through the Instructor Training. This includes copying course content into Canvas, testing several technologies, and resetting the course back to default. Using a sandbox during this program will allow you to build inside your empty Canvas course and when ready, you can import what you build into your Canvas curriculum course.
How do I transfer materials from BeachBoard to Canvas?
For BeachBoard course materials not already imported into Canvas, you may export your BeachBoard course content and then import it into Canvas. For import instructions, access the article: How do I import content from Desire 2 Learn (D2L) into Canvas?
If I am familiar with Canvas already, can I import my BeachBoard course into Canvas and not have to build from scratch?
Importing your BeachBoard course into Canvas is strongly discouraged because ATS is currently in the first stages of course migration. Therefore, if imported prematurely, additional manual adjustments will be needed. Importing BeachBoard content to your Canvas course will be available in Summer 2022.
After I participate in this program, will I be able to access the content of the Canvas Essentials course after the course has ended?
Yes, absolutely! Although the course will end it will always be active, therefore you can always access the information at your convenience.
When will I receive my stipend for this program and if I have any questions who should I contact?
Stipends will be disbursed in Fall 2022. If you have any questions about your eligibility for the stipend, contact your College/Department’s Administrative Services Manager (ASM).