Out of State Verification

If you have moved or plan on moving to a different state to teach, you will need to contact that state's credential or education agency to ask whether they will accept California's credentials. Each state's credential requirements may differ. Please visit the Commision on Teacher Credentialing's website for a list of Educational Organizations in Other States.  

If you completed your credential program at CSU, Long Beach and the state in which you are seeking a teaching position has a Program Verification Form that needs a college dean or university representative signature, the Credential Center can complete that form for you. Please complete the following steps:

Step 1: Pay $25 Credential Evaluation and Services fee (fee is non-refundable). Save emailed payment receipt for uploading in step 3.

Step 2: Fill out any applicable sections of your State's Program Verification Form. Save form for uploading in step 3.

Step 3: Upload $25 payment receipt and State's Program Verification form to the Credential Center's Out of State Verification Request form