Kaltura MediaSpace is a web-based media portal available to all CSULB faculty, staff, and students. MediaSpace is similar to YouTube, allowing users to upload video and audio files, organize them into channels and playlists, and share them privately or publically.
Create Custom Members-Only Groups
Kaltura MediaSpace users can create channels to keep media secure within CSULB-authenticated custom groups. For example, academic departments or student organizations could create their own members-only groups in which to share media.
MediaSpace Files Sync with BeachBoard and Canvas
Kaltura MediaSpace files are synched with BeachBoard and Canvas so instructors can easily add media directly to courses. Media uploaded to BeachBoard and Canvas will also be automatically saved in MediaSpace for future access.
- Go to the CSULB MediaSpace site.
- In the upper right corner of the homepage, select GUEST and then Login.
- Select the CSULB Login button.
View Your Media
To view the media that has been uploaded to Mediaspace, select the "My Media" link in the main navigation bar:
Upload all common video, audio, and image formats from your computer.
- Click on Add New in the top right corner. Select Media Upload from the menu.
- Select the blue Choose a file to upload button to browse your computer for the file or drag and drop it into the boxed area.
- Go to YouTube for the specific video you would like to add to MediaSpace.
- Under the video on YouTube, click the Share link and then click opy to save the URL to your clipboard.
- In MediaSpace, click Add New in the top right corner. Select YouTube from the drop-down menu.
- In the Video Page Link field (1), paste the URL that you copied from YouTube. Click Preview (2) to see a preview of the video and details.
- Scroll down to edit the video details to edit the Name, change the Description, add Tags, or set the Publishing schedule. Save your changes.
- Click on Add New in the top right corner. Select Import from OneDrive from the menu.
- Click the blue Select a file from your OneDrive button.
- Select the media file(s) to import, then select Open.
- Enter the name, description, and tags and set the publishing schedule. Save your changes.
- Select Go To Media to view the media import.
- To edit a file name, click on the edit icon to the right of the video.
- In the Name textbox, enter the desired title of the video and click Save
Once the video is saved, you can add collaborators and publish the video to a channel or category (Note: Only administrators can create categories). Save your changes.
Note: Only faculty and staff can create channels.
A channel is a collection of media content that pertains to a subset of users (or all authenticated users). Managers may give users permission to perform specific actions in a channel. Channel types can vary from open to private, restricted, or public to define the privacy levels by which different users may have access to view, edit, moderate, or contribute content in the channel. A channel can contain playlists, but unlike a playlist, a channel cannot be embedded in a course or web page.
- Navigate to the upper right-hand corner of the CSULB MediaSpace. Click on your name and select My Channels from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the right side of the screen to Create Channel.
- On the Create a New Channel, give the channel a Name (1), enter a Description, if desired (2), add Tags (3), change the Privacy settings (4), enable or disable any optional settings (5), if desired, post to any permitted Category (6).
The playlist feature simplifies navigation, allowing access to your videos in one central location rather than scrolling through a long list within the My Media content folder. In addition, they can also be shared and embedded in a course page.
- Navigate to the upper right-hand corner of the CSULB MediaSpace. Click on your name and select My Playlist from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Create Playlist button to add a new playlist.
- Enter the title required for the playlist and click Create.
- Add items to your playlist from the left column of the page by clicking the + button (1)
- The media will be added to My Playlist on the right column of the page
- Select Go To Playlist (2) to watch your playlist, share & embed, or edit
- Navigate to the upper right-hand corner of the CSULB MediaSpace. Click on your name and select My Media from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the media file you would like to publish and click the icon on the right of the file thumbnail.
- On the Edit page, navigate to the Publish tab. From there, select Published (1)
- Under the Publish in Category (2), you can choose the Category you are entitled to publish content into (3).
- NOTE: A radio button or check box will only appear next to the name of a category or channel you have permission to publish content into.
- Be sure to save any changes you make (4).
- To publish to a Channel, change the Publishing Status to Published (1), then click on the Publish in Channel (2) tab and select the channel(s) you’d like the video to be published into (3).
- Save any changes you make (4).
- Navigate to My Media.
- Select the checkbox to the left of the file names (1)
- Under Actions, select Publish from the drop-down menu (2)
- Once directed to the Published page, change the Publishing Status to Published (1) and select the Category or Channel you’d like to publish the videos into under Publish in Category or Publish in Channel (2)
- Save any changes you make