Blackboard Ally FAQs for Students
Ally provides alternative formats for these content types:
- PDF files
- Microsoft® Word files
- Microsoft® PowerPoint® files
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice files
- Uploaded HTML files
- Content created in the LMS course editor (WYSIWIG)
These alternative formats can be generated:
- OCR’d version (for scanned documents)
- Tagged PDF (currently for Word, PowerPoint and OpenOffice/LibreOffice files)
- Mobile-friendly HTML&
- Electronic Braille
- BeeLine Reader
- Translated Version (Translated Version is disabled by default. Administrators can submit a support case to have it enabled)
Ally currently only processes instructional content. For example, content added by someone with edit permissions in the course, such as the instructor or instructional designer. Ally currently doesn't process student content or student submissions.
Instructor and administrators can turn off alternative formats for an individual content item within a course. For example, on a file uploaded to the course.
Ally uses Braille Ready File (.brf) as the electronic Braille format. The braille code used depends on the language the document is in. For English documents, Ally uses Grade 2 Unified English Braille (contracted).
The Braille Ready File (.brf) format can be used for both electronic braille displays and braille embossers (printers).
You still need to check whether a specific Braille embosser/printer supports the .brf format.